Thread: Is it possible for Nova Sterling to be built on a Super Beatle?

Hybrid View

Is it possible for Nova Sterling to be built on a Super Beatle?

Are there any compatibility issues ( MacPherson struts , 2 inches longer ...?)

Yes they won't fit under the body (front arches). The best you can do is take a super beetle rear chassis (IRS rear suspension) and mate the chassis at the front to a torsion bar set-up

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Yes they won't fit under the body (front arches). The best you can do is take a super beetle rear chassis (IRS rear suspension) and mate the chassis at the front to a torsion bar set-up
    Thank you but I’m kinda confused now , didn’t all beetles after ‘69 come with IRS ?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hello man, In the UK only the 1302, 1302-S and 1303 beetles had IRS.
    There was a semi-automatic beetle that also had IRS with the torsion bar front end but these are rare in the UK.

I see you are not UK based - Beetle spec in other countries may vary.

Dave mentioned grafting a torsion bar 'frame head' to a 1302/3 chassis (to get IRS with Torsion bar front end) and that works.
    But more popular nowadays is getting a Swing-Axle/Torsion Bar chassis, (i.e. from a 'normal', non 1302/3 Beetle) and converting it to IRS. There are a few UK companies who will do this for you, I have even seen DIY kits to make the conversion yourself, but IMO it is challenging - even for a Nova owner.

I would recommend you pursue this and get IRS on your car one way or another though :-)

No, only 1302 and 1302 s (1600) 'super' beetles. 1968-1979, but swing axles were still produced into the 1970s on some models.

What Alister suggested results is the same configuration as the 1500 which had IRS rear and TB front on a 94.5" wheel base..

A 'Super beetle cannot be used 'as is' on a VW kit car unless that kit is designed for that chassis. Most kits that specify a 1302 have their own front end conversion as part of the kit.

95.3" as opposed to the 'old 94.5" on wheelbase (0.8") (2" overall) would not pose a problem as there is plenty of 'adjustment' in positioning the Nova body on the chassis. but academic as you can't use the 1302 chassis without modification anyway.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    No, only 1302 and 1302 s (1600) 'super' beetles. 1968-1979, but swing axles were still produced into the 1970s on some models.

What Alister suggested results is the same configuration as the 1500 which had IRS rear and TB front on a 94.5" wheel base..

A 'Super beetle cannot be used 'as is' on a VW kit car unless that kit is designed for that chassis. Most kits that specify a 1302 have their own front end conversion as part of the kit.

95.3" as opposed to the 'old 94.5" on wheelbase (0.8") (2" overall) would not pose a problem as there is plenty of 'adjustment' in positioning the Nova body on the chassis. but academic as you can't use the 1302 chassis without modification anyway.
    Thanks , did the UK beetles also stop coming with the linkpin pivot in 65' ?

So from what I have gathered , it's a pain in the ass to modify the suspension to make a quit noticeable improvement on the handling . All Double wishbone suspension kits don't fit on the Nova and would anyway cause a paperwork hassle , McPherson struts don't fit , and best case scenario you manage to have IRS but still have torsion bars front and back. Would you guys say it's still a half decent track car / or have any suggestion for improvements ?
    Thanks