Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Is it possible for Nova Sterling to be built on a Super Beatle?

  1. #1

    Is it possible for Nova Sterling to be built on a Super Beatle?

    Are there any compatibility issues ( MacPherson struts , 2 inches longer ...?)

  2. #2
    Yes they won't fit under the body (front arches). The best you can do is take a super beetle rear chassis (IRS rear suspension) and mate the chassis at the front to a torsion bar set-up

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Yes they won't fit under the body (front arches). The best you can do is take a super beetle rear chassis (IRS rear suspension) and mate the chassis at the front to a torsion bar set-up
    Thank you but I’m kinda confused now , didn’t all beetles after ‘69 come with IRS ?

  4. #4
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,113
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hello man, In the UK only the 1302, 1302-S and 1303 beetles had IRS.
    There was a semi-automatic beetle that also had IRS with the torsion bar front end but these are rare in the UK.

    I see you are not UK based - Beetle spec in other countries may vary.

    Dave mentioned grafting a torsion bar 'frame head' to a 1302/3 chassis (to get IRS with Torsion bar front end) and that works.
    But more popular nowadays is getting a Swing-Axle/Torsion Bar chassis, (i.e. from a 'normal', non 1302/3 Beetle) and converting it to IRS. There are a few UK companies who will do this for you, I have even seen DIY kits to make the conversion yourself, but IMO it is challenging - even for a Nova owner.

    I would recommend you pursue this and get IRS on your car one way or another though :-)

  5. #5
    No, only 1302 and 1302 s (1600) 'super' beetles. 1968-1979, but swing axles were still produced into the 1970s on some models.

    What Alister suggested results is the same configuration as the 1500 which had IRS rear and TB front on a 94.5" wheel base..

    A 'Super beetle cannot be used 'as is' on a VW kit car unless that kit is designed for that chassis. Most kits that specify a 1302 have their own front end conversion as part of the kit.

    95.3" as opposed to the 'old 94.5" on wheelbase (0.8") (2" overall) would not pose a problem as there is plenty of 'adjustment' in positioning the Nova body on the chassis. but academic as you can't use the 1302 chassis without modification anyway.



    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

    http://ukhozi.page.tl

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    No, only 1302 and 1302 s (1600) 'super' beetles. 1968-1979, but swing axles were still produced into the 1970s on some models.

    What Alister suggested results is the same configuration as the 1500 which had IRS rear and TB front on a 94.5" wheel base..

    A 'Super beetle cannot be used 'as is' on a VW kit car unless that kit is designed for that chassis. Most kits that specify a 1302 have their own front end conversion as part of the kit.

    95.3" as opposed to the 'old 94.5" on wheelbase (0.8") (2" overall) would not pose a problem as there is plenty of 'adjustment' in positioning the Nova body on the chassis. but academic as you can't use the 1302 chassis without modification anyway.
    Thanks , did the UK beetles also stop coming with the linkpin pivot in 65' ?

  7. #7
    So from what I have gathered , it's a pain in the ass to modify the suspension to make a quit noticeable improvement on the handling . All Double wishbone suspension kits don't fit on the Nova and would anyway cause a paperwork hassle , McPherson struts don't fit , and best case scenario you manage to have IRS but still have torsion bars front and back. Would you guys say it's still a half decent track car / or have any suggestion for improvements ?
    Thanks

  8. #8
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,324
    It is possible to cut down the front struts an graft a balljoint onto the top, to mate with a top wishbone. Obviously you have lost the spring so the top wishbone operates a short coilover. Adjusting the pivot point also changes the effective spring rate, which is handy for fine tuning.

    The advantage of this system is that you get factory IRS with the floorpan, plus rack and pinion steering. I don't think there was ever a conversion kit for this, but the top wishbones and mounting framework could be fabricated reasonably easily...

    Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  9. #9
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,324
    My mistake - seems like all Super Beetles came with a steering box from the factory. And try as I might I cannot find any reference to the inboard front suspension I saw pictures of all those years ago...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  10. #10
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,113
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think you are wrong on all counts man.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryosuke View Post
    So from what I have gathered , it's a pain in the ass to modify the suspension to make a quit noticeable improvement on the handling.
    Thanks
    IRS + Torsion Bar will give adequate handling. See my post above, IRS Conversion is now a fairly standard mod in the VW custom scene. couple of hundred £quid?
    Building a Nova is a PITA, but an enjoyable and satisfying one *some* of the time ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryosuke View Post
    All Double wishbone suspension kits don't fit on the Nova and would anyway cause a paperwork hassle , McPherson struts don't fit.

    Nothing fits first time on a Nova.
    Double wishbone suspension kits can be made to fit. We have at least 2 Novas using that config in the UK.
    There is no paperwork hassle with fitting a Double W kit.
    Forget about MacPherson struts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryosuke View Post
    best case scenario you manage to have IRS but still have torsion bars front and back.

    It's not best case. but it gives good 'bang for your buck'
    It gives a noticable improvement to handling without adding months (and £'s) to your build time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryosuke View Post
    Would you guys say it's still a half decent track car

    No, I would not say that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryosuke View Post
    [...] or have any suggestion for improvements ?
    Choose a mid-engine tube frame car: K1-Attack / Ultima


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •