Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible for Nova Sterling to be built on a Super Beatle?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I think you are wrong on all counts man.

IRS + Torsion Bar will give adequate handling. See my post above, IRS Conversion is now a fairly standard mod in the VW custom scene. couple of hundred £quid?
    Building a Nova is a PITA, but an enjoyable and satisfying one *some* of the time ;-)

Nothing fits first time on a Nova.
    Double wishbone suspension kits can be made to fit. We have at least 2 Novas using that config in the UK.
    There is no paperwork hassle with fitting a Double W kit.
    Forget about MacPherson struts.

It's not best case. but it gives good 'bang for your buck'
    It gives a noticable improvement to handling without adding months (and £'s) to your build time.

No, I would not say that.

Choose a mid-engine tube frame car: K1-Attack / Ultima

Hey
    sorry for being negative , i was tired and in a bad mood when writing that reply but i'm curious about the
    Double W setup , only one i heard of in the forum was the Red9 one that ended up being too low so the company had to do a one-off customization , even if someone had managed to put all of the work , what is the situation with the IVA , i'm kind of confused with all of the paperwork and the 8-point system, people in other forums have stated that cutting anything remotely off the chassis makes you ineligible for the IVA, but I don't know how true that is. Finally i would like to ask , there was a discussion in a thread about a good half-way point between torsion bars and double w , which was installing the Red9 coilover conversion kit , do any of you guys have any idea if the meant a rear conversion or a front one ?
    Thanks

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryosuke View Post
    Hey
    sorry for being negative , i was tired and in a bad mood when writing that reply but i'm curious about the
    Double W setup , only one i heard of in the forum was the Red9 one that ended up being too low so the company had to do a one-off customization , even if someone had managed to put all of the work , what is the situation with the IVA , i'm kind of confused with all of the paperwork and the 8-point system, people in other forums have stated that cutting anything remotely off the chassis makes you ineligible for the IVA, but I don't know how true that is. Finally i would like to ask , there was a discussion in a thread about a good half-way point between torsion bars and double w , which was installing the Red9 coilover conversion kit , do any of you guys have any idea if the meant a rear conversion or a front one ?
    Thanks

Hello Mate, no worries;

>> do any of you guys have any idea if the meant a rear conversion or a front one ?

IIRC That duscussion was about the front end Red9 conversion. Red9 do a rear conversion as well.

These are the options for the front-end that I am aware of:

None on these options require paperwork or have BIVA implications, because you are changing the front suspension here, not the chassis.

Stock Beetle torsion bars setup. This is probably too low and definitely too hard for use on a Nova.
    You can slide out a couple of the small torsion 'leaves' with this option to soften it.
    You can also put height adjusters on the torsion bars - in the beam - but don't forget you are going up not down.

Red 9 Double Wishbone, You know about this. It needs a factory modification to raise the ride height and you will need softer springs. Includes good brakes and R&P steering in the package. A pricey but good option.

Red 9 Coilover shocks with Thru-rods
    , Not a good fit for the Nova in my opinion, because the coilovers lower the car 0-2 inches, you need to raise it.
    The stock springs from Red9 are too hard for the Nova as well. So you will need to adapt this kit for the Nova, but once done it should work well.

DIY Coilovers. Purchase your own thru-rods and get some custom made coilover shocks built using 100 lbs per inch (or maybe 125) springs, that is the option I chose for my build.
    It is easier than it sounds and cheaper than the Red9 equivalent above.

At Stoneleigh last year there was a Double Wishbone front beam conversion, by Kingfisher Kustoms, this looks excellent but I have not seen it anywhere since(?)
    http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?7040-Stoneleigh-2019!/page3

Hope that helps.

Tell us a bit more about what you are planning? Are you in the UK? Is this going to be a UK based car?
    Why are a you asking about BIVA and the DVLA 'points' system?