Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foot Operated Parking Brake

Foot Operated Parking Brake

As some of you know the redesign of the center console has no provisions for the hand operated parking brake.

I decided to convert over to a foot operated parking brake to acquire the space I wanted in the center console.

I went through the wrecking yards to see what options are out there.
    It came down between two units. A Mercedes or a Chevy Impala. I decided on the Chevy foot operated parking brake.

Unit in place. Actually it took me 2 times to located it in the proper spot. First attempt the vent ducts for the dash were not installed and after installing them the brake unit did not clear them so I had to relocate the unit.

P4180007.jpg

Cable Junction Bracket to be used came out of a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

P4180003.jpg

Measurements were taken to determine any clearance issues between the shift rod (inside the tunnel)and the bracket and excess material from the bracket was cutout.

P4180004.jpg

Template was made and location on the tunnel for the cutout was marked out

P4180005.jpg

P4180006.jpg

Area was cutout and brake line tubes were cut to desired length.

Bracket installed but not welded in

P4190002.jpg

P4190003.jpg

Now the fun starts. Finding fittings to make up new cable ends

I pulled the oem brake cable to the foot brake so I am hoping I can just shorten it and put new ends on it.

Liked the idea so I went and had a look on eBay and found the
    Toyota Sienns unit very nice. Push on push off so no need for a release handle and pressed meel so easy to adapt not that it would need a lot, Hmm, got me thinking again Brett.

If fitted it would mean I could drop the arm rest 3" which would be good and of course loose the Volvo handbrake assembly.. I could also use the two cables already fitted over the tunnel to a simple balance bar.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Liked the idea so I went and had a look on eBay and found the
    Toyota Sienns unit very nice. Push on push off so no need for a release handle and pressed meel so easy to adapt not that it would need a lot, Hmm, got me thinking again Brett.

If fitted it would mean I could drop the arm rest 3" which would be good and of course loose the Volvo handbrake assembly.. I could also use the two cables already fitted over the tunnel to a simple balance bar.

the style I have also has the push on/off feature.

Don't rush in and buy any unit. It took me a day of looking through the yards to find one that would work in our cars.
    Make sure it is made to mount flush up against the car. That picture you posted shows that those mounts put the unit far from the mounting surface. Also whats on the back side of that unit if you got it? can it be mounted flush even after you cut those mounting tabs off and made your own?? May be more work than its worth to make that unit work. Also the size of it is hard to tell if it would fit. That was another thing that eliminated a lot of units. Some were way to big to look like it belonged in the car.

Got a little done today, got the cable from the pedal assembly shortened. Need to go to the yard now and get a few goodies still.

P4200004.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    That looks really neat, how is the cable routed from the side of the car to the center?

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a pretty fearless mod - not for the faint-hearted. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    That looks really neat, how is the cable routed from the side of the car to the center?

Dirk
    Since I'm not using the oem pedal assembly I thought I'd use the opening that was used by that.

I found a rubber grommet that was just about a perfect fit.

P4200001.jpg

P4200005.jpg

P4200006.jpg

This is the pedal assembly that I'm using

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2014-G...-/332076944950

The rivets holding the mounting plate to the back plate of the pedal assembly were removed and the mounting plate was discarded.
    The holes in the back plate were used for mounting. Spacers were made to get the needed clearance to mount it to the car.

I was just thinking this through about how I liked the idea and was considering copying it. Then I realized it works a bit easier for you in the US (being left hand drive) versus us in the UK (right hand drive). As the mounting point would need to be above and to the side of the centre tunnel rather than the side wall. As otherwise it would be the same side as the accelerator which wouldn’t work.

So could potentially weld a bracket on the centre tunnel as a mount, assuming that doesn't interfere with HVAC and other gubbins depending on the car. Then there is issue of the cable if mounted over the tunnel, as it would need to do a tight u-turn to head back up the tunnel.........anyway, I shouldn't dwell on it too much as I don't want to undo the work on the scooby Nova, and certainly don't want to redo the Blue one again....but the current handbrake is crap...hmmm so lets see
    Last edited by islandman; 21-04-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I was just thinking this through about how I liked the idea and was considering copying it. Then I realized it works a bit easier for you in the US (being left hand drive) versus us in the UK (right hand drive). As the mounting point would need to be above and to the side of the centre tunnel rather than the side wall. As otherwise it would be the same side as the accelerator which wouldn’t work.

So could potentially weld a bracket on the centre tunnel as a mount, assuming that doesn't interfere with HVAC and other gubbins depending on the car. Then there is issue of the cable if mounted over the tunnel, as it would need to do a tight u-turn to head back up the tunnel.........anyway, I shouldn't dwell on it too much as I don't want to undo the work on the scooby Nova, and certainly don't want to redo the Blue one again....but the current handbrake is crap...hmmm so lets see
    I did come across some pedal assemblies that were mounted to the front firewall. They didn't suit my needs so I passed them up and didn't take note what vehicle they were in.