Thread: Source for caliper pistons

Source for caliper pistons

Hi,

I have been having fun and games trying to get the pistons out of my 2 pin square pad calipers.
    1 piston is stuck in either caliper.

I have so far used compressed air (110psi) and that wont pop them out.
    I am going to try a grease gun.
    In the process, I have gnarled up the the face of the pistons when smacking them with a hammer.
    Does anybody know where we can get just the pistons from?
    Calipers are 2 pin square pad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBailey View Post
    Hi,

I have been having fun and games trying to get the pistons out of my 2 pin square pad calipers.
    1 piston is stuck in either caliper.

I have so far used compressed air (110psi) and that wont pop them out.
    I am going to try a grease gun.
    In the process, I have gnarled up the the face of the pistons when smacking them with a hammer.
    Does anybody know where we can get just the pistons from?
    Calipers are 2 pin square pad.

Thanks
    There is a mod I had with Citroen Visa calipers, which Dirk perfected....check out his thread as is may be the way to go for a better outcome

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    If the pistons are stuck that much it may not be viable to replace them; could there be surface corrosion in the calipers?
    I had a similar problem trying to remove the pistons and ended up buying new calipers for safety reasons it was so much easier! `¬)
    Of course you could go with Davids suggestion above!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    As others have said the chances are that the calipers are toast, but if you want to try and get the pistons out you could drill and tap the bottoms with perhaps an M8 then use a bolt to force them out. Try and keep it as central as possible.

Dirk

One side of the caliper, the pistons come out with compressed air.
    The stuck pistons are able to rotate and one of them moves backwards and forwards but wont pop out with air.

I just cant get enough pressure behind them to pop the out, a grease gun might do it though.

Threads on the interwebs suggest this is common.
    People have been welding bars to the pistons and prying them out.
    In any case, if I can get the pistons out and the bores look OK, I need some new pistons but cant find them. I've tried the usual, ebay, machine 7, heritage etc.

Calipers are cheap enough not to bother with iffy units, get an upgrade whilst you are at it.
    What happens is the O rings in the pistons 'glue' themselves to the wall of the caliper, hence the movement but no travel, a little heat works wonders and then blow them out.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

In hindsight, I would go for new calipers (even if they are recon). They really are cheap at £100ish a pair.
    The seal kits and pistons come to more than that.

In case it is useful to anybody in the future.
    I have had success at removing the old pistons with a grease gun. If you have a grease gun with a flexi hose attachment, it will likely just fit into the caliper without an adapter.

On second look, the pistons look OK on my units, the seals have expanded and that was locking them pistons in. Hydraulic force is whats needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBailey View Post
    In hindsight, I would go for new calipers (even if they are recon). They really are cheap at £100ish a pair.
    The seal kits and pistons come to more than that.

In case it is useful to anybody in the future.
    I have had success at removing the old pistons with a grease gun. If you have a grease gun with a flexi hose attachment, it will likely just fit into the caliper without an adapter.

On second look, the pistons look OK on my units, the seals have expanded and that was locking them pistons in. Hydraulic force is whats needed.
    swot I said init, Good move getting new (recon) ones.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl