Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Relocating the shift lever

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Part 2

One point of interest to bring out is that the OEM shift lever is offset from the center of the tunnel. My install is centered on the tunnel.
    If you were to do this as the factory did(offset) you would need to make a blister on the side of the tunnel otherwise you will have a clearance issue and the cup end on the shift rod will hit the side of the tunnel not allowing you to shift into those gears.
    Yours is a very neat job Brett, great work as usual.
    Now I remember why I moved the whole section, the off-set blister. Before someone says, "But you used a Skoda unit", I do now but I was going back to 1994 and the Charger I built. (probably why I also looked for an easier alternative).
    Skoda shifter.jpg
    Skoda shifter, self contained slider unit.
    Really sweet shift but of course getting pretty rare these days and none in US of course.
    Last edited by Peter; 30-03-2020 at 01:19 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I purchased what I thought would be a new shift rod from a major VW company about a year ago, knowing that I would have to do this modification sometime.
    What I got was a home made piece of junk. A 5 year old could do a better welding job than what was done on this.

P3230001.jpg

I ended up using my old rod

Everything got tac welded until the rod was installed and working. It was then removed and everything was completely welded up.

Center was located on the bracket

P3240007a.jpg

And the rod was installed

Transmission was in neutral and the center of the bracket was transferred to the rod.

Dimensions were taken of the shift cup

P3300004a.jpg

P3300003a.jpg

With those dimensions I came up with the distance from the center mark where the cut line would be on the shift rod.

Distance "A" divided by 2 = center of the cup. Then I added distance "B" to that and then subtracted "C" from that and thats the point of the cut on the rod.

I debated which end to shorten and I probably choose the wrong end now that I think about it but I figured the cup end is the end thats moving so thats the end that got cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I purchased what I thought would be a new shift rod from a major VW company about a year ago, knowing that I would have to do this modification sometime.
    What I got was a home made piece of junk. A 5 year old could do a better welding job than what was done on this.

P3230001.jpg

I ended up using my old rod

Everything got tac welded until the rod was installed and working. It was then removed and everything was completely welded up.

Center was located on the bracket

P3240007a.jpg

And the rod was installed

Transmission was in neutral and the center of the bracket was transferred to the rod.

Dimensions were taken of the shift cup

P3300004a.jpg

P3300003a.jpg

With those dimensions I came up with the distance from the center mark where the cut line would be on the shift rod.

Distance "A" divided by 2 = center of the cup. Then I added distance "B" to that and then subtracted "C" from that and thats the point of the cut on the rod.

I debated which end to shorten and I probably choose the wrong end now that I think about it but I figured the cup end is the end thats moving so thats the end that got cut.
    It's great to see a step by step liek this Brett - keep up the good work

One point to highlight is to ensure when shortening the rod - that the cup end is welded up at 90 degreees to the linkage end. I bought my car as a project and all this work had already been done, but I discovered that the shortened rod was not square resulting in it being impossible to select all four gears. (Perhaps this oversight was one of the reasons the car was abandoned and sold on through various owners before me?)
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Part 4a

with the rod now cut to length its time to start putting it all together.

As Phill stated its critical to get the two ends lined up properly.

I did try to just eye ball it in my first relocation but trust me you wont get it right.

So I came up with two ways to do this.

First way was with a bubble level/torpedo level.

The shift rod was placed in a vice and the level was placed on the coupler end of the rod. The rod was then rotated until the level zeroed out

P3240002c.jpg

The shift cup end was then installed on the rod and using the level it was rotated until the level zeroed out.

P3240004c.jpg

Make sure the bubble is in the exact same spot.

The other method will be covered in the next post

post 4b

second method to installing shift rod end

second method uses a laser level

P3250005.jpg

Again the rod is placed in the vice and I found a rod that fits in the coupler side hole with no play so I used that

Laser was turned on and the rod was rotated till the rod was level on the laser beam.

P3250001.jpg

Next the cup end was installed(actually it was installed before placing the rod in the vice) and rotated till the cup end was level to the beam.

P3250002.jpg

Picture of the rod with both ends lined up in the beam

P3250003.jpg

P3250004.jpg

Once I was happy with the location I tac welded the cup end and the rod was installed to check for fit.

Everything checked out OK so the rod was pulled back out and welded up along with welding the bushing bracket fully in.

From this and past posts you done you have found so many uses for that laser level that its starting to seem like a must have toy!

I'm gonna have to hunt around and see if I can resist the temptation . hahahaha

Great Job, Brent. Very clever use of the laser level. I don't recall how I did mine, but I think I made a S.W.A.G (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) and managed to get it right.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Very ingenious, your work always impresses me. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    From this and past posts you done you have found so many uses for that laser level that its starting to seem like a must have toy!

I'm gonna have to hunt around and see if I can resist the temptation . hahahaha
    You can get a reasonably good one at a pretty low price, my stabila laser's been a godsend for work and there are several other things I couldn't have done easily without it