Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan shroud thermostatic flaps

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar

Fan shroud thermostatic flaps

Hi all,

I'm re-assembling my dual port engine and have found that it doesn't have a thermostat or the thermostatically controlled flaps in the fan housing.

I did some online searching and found some folk saying you don't need them and others saying they're required to make sure the heads heat up quickly, and hence reduce top end wear.

So I've been searching for the various bits and have found whilst it's easy to get a thermostat and the rod that connects to it, the flaps and the rod that connects them are like hen's teeth. I've even looked at new fan shrouds but can't find any that come with the flaps.

Does anyone know where I could get a set of flaps with the connecting rod, either new or 2nd hand, for a dual port with the oil cooler in a doghouse on the back of the fan housing?

Cheers, Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 27-04-2020 at 06:57 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Alistair, Any pics/diagrams of what you're after?

IIRC I removed the Thermostat and all the associated gubbins on my first car.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Alistair, Any pics/diagrams of what you're after?

IIRC I removed the Thermostat and all the associated gubbins on my first car.
    Hi Steve,

Edit: ... after posting I found this video which shows the flaps being installed in the doghouse fan housing. It doesn't show the main connecting rod between the 2 sets of flaps but you get the idea ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cy1...&index=15&t=0s )

The main things I am having difficulty finding are the flaps at either side of the fan housing. The rod connecting them needs to be able to get around (or through?) the doghouse which contains the oil cooler on the back of the fan housing. I suppose I could manufacture my own connecting rod if necessary.

I've got the bracket which supports the thermostat on the side of the crankcase, but am without the thermostat itself. The rod which connects the thermostat to the flaps is easily obtained, or made up.

Firstly, here's the view of my fan housing showing the doghouse protruding to the rear ....

View looking up into the fan housing through the flaps ....

All the bits for the complete system. (but the long connecting rod I need will have a kink in it to get round the doghouse) ....

Cheers, Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 27-04-2020 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Youtube link added

Update on my post .... I've managed to source a complete used set of flaps, rods and thermostat online. Should have them next week.

Nice one, it might be worth putting the heat gun on the thermostat before you fit it just to check it is working.

Dirk

or a container of hot water, then you can see if there are any bubbles leaking out if it doesn't expand or contract? `¬)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKNab4MUUjg
    My first one leaked somewhat!
    Last edited by MartinB; 30-04-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure Mrs Bluenova would be more than happy to lend her Hairdryer for use in this important pre-flight test, you'd only have to ask....

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I'm sure Mrs Bluenova would be more than happy to lend her Hairdryer for use in this important pre-flight test, you'd only have to ask....
    I don’t think you’ve picked up on the ‘vibe’ each time I mention Mrs Bluenova on here ... there again, maybe you have .... Mrs Bluenova views my Nova as ‘the other woman’, so I’ll struggle to borrow a hair drier. Might just have to boil the kettle and use Martin’s suggestion.

Thanks Steve, Martin and Dirk!

Now you see I don't really have that problem. Mrs Phill is quite happy for me to head off to the unit to work on the car as she can't wait to see the back of me..
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Now you see I don't really have that problem. Mrs Phill is quite happy for me to head off to the unit to work on the car as she can't wait to see the back of me..