Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Windshield

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Canopy closed with full negative holding pressure until the adhesive cured for me. I wanted to make sure that the screen was stressed in the closed position.

There again, most of the time the Green Machine is in the garage with the canopy open - oh well, the screen hasn't fractured yet!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Canopy closed with full negative holding pressure until the adhesive cured for me. I wanted to make sure that the screen was stressed in the closed position.

There again, most of the time the Green Machine is in the garage with the canopy open - oh well, the screen hasn't fractured yet!

Lauren
    Obviously the question does not apply to my installment, but that said when I come to do the Nova I think my preference would be roof down no negative pressure, the roof would have more flex without the screen under pressure. That said Lauren has more miles than most of us so clearly it probably makes no difference there would be a certain amount of flex in the sealant.

Dirk

I'll continue to post here and in my thread as well, as I'll continue to ask questions and get the community input.

Glass out of the Yellow canopy. This one took an additional 10 minute or so, but still came out very easily. After removing the glass, removing all of the left over sealant took quite a while. A very sharp chisel was used to get the majority of the sealant off the canopy, the a wire wheel drill attachment was used to remove just about everything else. I started with a fine wheel, but it wasn't aggressive enough and all I had was a course wheel. I think a medium would have been ideal as some of the gel coat was scratched pretty heavily. I used the same chisel (ran across a diamond sharper a few times) to go back and clean up anything the wheel missed. That whole process took about an hour.

Next questions:
    Recommended window sealant?

Both windshields had a black boarder painted on the inside of the glass that "hides" the sealant. Most of it came off when removing the canopies. What is used to apply that? I assume some sort of self etching glass paint?

Window trim, I think Phil used it on his car, what's the general consensus? Necessary or just a trim option? Also, what was used? I did find some h-shaped glass panel trim that goes around the glass before it's installed so it gets bonded in place with the window sealant.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Hi Nic,

I Used a Polyurethane adhesive

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/black-...dhesivesealant

I also used this thinned down with acetone to paint the border

As for trim it does give a much better finish and this was what I used.

Dirk

I’ve found Sika windscreen adhesive to be good reliable product having used it to bond screens in metal and fibre frames ,the nozzle that comes with it should be V cut with a guide bar to run down the inner frame edge, if not cut as pic it keeps the adhesive in the correct place and shape for a good strong bond .The black edging is etched onto the glass it not only hides the adhesive but it helps sealant bond to the glass
    Attached Images Attached Images

3M's polyurethane windshield adhesive, available at any auto supply store. Used that to put in 100A's glass. It's messy - tape the glass around the edge with painters tape (up to the edge, not the edge itself) and the canopy surround.. makes cleanup a bunch easier. You'll also need a handful of 1/4" spacers to place at the bottom to center the glass. I just cut some scrap pvc that I had around and simply bonded those in under the polyurethane.