Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Windshield

Installing Windshield

Does anyone have suggestions or perhaps a good how-to video or site for replacing the windshield? I've nearly separated the windshield from the Orange car and might have the windshield out of my car by end of the weekend. Also, I'm terrified of breaking this one, while it's out of a canopy. I don't think I'll come across another $500 option any time soon.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I fitted my windscreen and it wasn't that hard a job, if you look back on my thread you will see. If you think worse case you have to take it back out and try again.

Dirk

Yes - Following Dirks advice I too bonded in my screen - pictures and guide here:- http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...-begins/page40
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Likewise for me too.

If you are going to store the screen for a while, try and store it in an upright position, preferably not resting on the top corners as the laminated glass can sag over time. If you have some EPDM foam edging strip that will help prevent chips if stored on a hard surface. Then again, carpet does just as well.

The bonding adhesive I used came with a Vee cut in the nozzle, which leaves a triangular bead all around the screen aperture. This bead is the key to achieving a completely watertight seal, straight out of the box.

My only other advice would be not to try and backfill around the screen with the same adhesive and do the job in the shade or in the garage if possible because the adhesive goes off too quickly in direct sunlight (looks all lumpy).

Good luck and don't forget to show us the results!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Thanks all! Phil, I appreciate the link. I picked up some panel suction cups from Harbor Freight and the windscreen came out with hardly a tug. It's sitting upright against the house n the dirt and out of the sun. I'm hoping it wont be out of a canopy more than a week or 2, I haven't started removing the old screen yet. I think it's best to try to cut away all the sealant with the canopy off the car, but I'll need some help moving it. I had my wife help pull the orange canopy off and she was laid up for a day with a sore back. No local friends so perhaps Dad can be coerced to help out.

Empty shell

Glass out

Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Great work Nic!

I've had problems getting any help from Mrs Bluenova when I need to lift heavy parts, (I think she's jealous of the Nova!) so I tend to devise ways of doing things myself .... it usually involves a pulley system from the garage roof!

Hope all goes well and you can get the screen back in soon!

Alistair

Nice one, I have to agree with Lauren keep it off the edges of the glass even if you think it will only be there for a week or two, stick a bit of 2 x 2 wood in the center section to keep the edges off the wall.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    A question on this; when you bond in the screen, do you do it with the (Canopy on the car) roof closed and fully cranked down? i.e. with negative pressure pulling down on the Canopy?

I bonded mine in with the roof closed simply because it was easier to do it that way. No negative pressure though
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

I stored mine for ages with pipe lagging around the edges for protection.
    I always try and do everything myself for if I ask the other half i then have to go to ikea with her !!!
    Hate that place ......