Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roof relay confirmation

...And now that Iíve put the switch in the car, soldered the connections and got it all done itís not working.
    Pump made the usual sound when I depressed either momentary switch but roof wonít go up.
    Then it stopped making the noise of the pump and instead made that sound I had intitially thatís like radiator pipes when you put heating on.
    Then a couple more goes and now no sound.

Iíve spent countless hours on it and I know that wiring diagram in my sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by novanewbie17 View Post

I’ve spent countless hours on it and I know that wiring diagram in my sleep!
    Check your fuses, relays and your earth connections. Where in your car is the circuit and pump; front or rear?

The ‘factory’ fitment of the mini pump was on metal bracket fixed to a fibreglass shelf in the engine bay, so earths for both the pump motor and up/down solenoid switches need to come via the loom from the switch/relay area.
    If your battery is in the normal place the earth is connected to the chassis via the body mount on the front beam (this needs to bright and shiny), from memory there is a communal earth point down on the rear of the seat pan that connects a number of things in the loom. This also needs to be clean to give good conductivity.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

itís on the bracket in the rear and I know that earths need to go to the battery because itís fibreglass, as does the solenoid. It all worked perfectly the other day when the pump was just resting on the rear deck.

IĎm done,
    itís gone under a cover in the garage.

I'm assuming you're using the diagram below:-

20200602_210615.jpg

The pump takes a very large current hence the reason for the solenoid - so make sure the earth connection to the pump is similarly heavy duty. Also make sure the solenoid and the changeover relay are all earthed too.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Then it stopped making the noise of the pump and instead made that sound I had intitially thatís like radiator pipes when you put heating on.
    If all the earth connections are good, is the battery OK? The symptoms you describe sound very much like a flat to me.

Try disconnecting the pump from the starter solenoid and making sure this clicks when energised. Put a test bulb on the output and connect to earth instead of the pump motor. Does it light up when the keyswitch is operated? Does it go out when the keyswitch is released? Put test bulbs on the connections to the solenoid valves in the pump - do they light up alternately when the keyswitch is operated? Do they both go out when the keyswitch is released? If not they may be draining the battery even when the pump is idle.

It sounds like you need to take a break from electrics for a while. I'm sure a fresh pair of eyes will soon sort the problem.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I gave it one last try.

4 hours this morning- new battery, jump lead on the solenoid to earth + an earth wire, checked every wire.
    One wire on each side to earth, the other number 56 wires correct and havenít been altered since it worked. Jump leads added to make sure on the lives. Switches just make the pump noise.

I understand the diagram but itís just not working out for me.

Assuming when you put power onto the pump it works, and when you power each pump solenoid they work, then the only thing left to cause it to fail is the starter solenoid and the changeover relay? It's a very simple circuit and very easy to test each part to determine what is at fault
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

I gave it one last try.

I understand the diagram but itís just not working out for me.
    Sorry to hear that. Itís frustrating when things donít do what you expect; most of us Nova owners have been there at some point in their build.

Where in the country are you? Your profile doesnít say. You may be close enough for someone to make a Ďsocially distancedí help visit.

Electrical stuff always causes more heartache than other build elements for most people. But ultimately itís very logical, which is why I like it. Itíll be something simple and youíll kick yourself when you eventually track it down and get a perfect up / down roof.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Itís lucky Iím not a quitter-
    though I was yesterday.
    It works, IT WORKS!!!!
    We were barking up the wrong tree- it wasnít electrical. When I put the pump back in the engine bay it got mounted nose down and oil had seaped out the filler plug, not a lot, but enough.
    The second I saw it I knew, topped it up a little and roof came up!
    Now all Iíve got to do is put everything back in the car again.....!
    Thanks though, I have such a rocky relationship with this car, maybe I should settle down with a nice Ford Focus rather than this temperamental model, thatís gorgeous to look at.
    Last edited by novanewbie17; 03-06-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Itís lucky Iím not a quitter-
    though I was yesterday.
    It works, IT WORKS!!!!

I have such a rocky relationship with this car, maybe I should settle down with a nice Ford Focus rather than this temperamental model, thatís gorgeous to look at.
    That's great news!

.... and as for the 'rocky relationship', having proved that you can try, try, and try again to solve an issue I'd say you're well qualified for kit car ownership, not just Nova ownership.

..... and a 'nice Ford Focus'? I think you've answered your own query!

Looking forward to seeing further updates