Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof relay confirmation

Roof relay confirmation

Hi,

I took the decision to completely re-wire the canopy - it's nearly done but just need to check some things.
    I bought a new relay which is the typical vw headlight relay and I've taken the cap off but just
    need confirmation that the tab that the pencil is pointing to is the correct one to cut?

I took the cap off the old one and it is the same pattern but that doesn't have any tab cut
    (which may explain why the roof never went down)?

Also, I have the smiths mini pack motor - the two wires coming out the top are one live and one earth
    but which is which? The writing has worn off! I think its green negative and red/green pos?

Looking forward to nearly having a working canopy.

Interior has been months of sorting too but it's on its way...
    Attached Images Attached Images

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Yes, that's the one. Either cut off or bend back, but it must never be allowed to contact, otherwise your canopy will open or close just once and then blow the fuse!
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

The fuse- must remember a fuse! 30 amp between the battery and the solenoid?

Thanks Lauren, I'll report back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by novanewbie17 View Post
    The fuse- must remember a fuse! 30 amp between the battery and the solenoid?

Thanks Lauren, I'll report back soon.
    Yes, that should be fine. The solenoid valves are not the big current draw. As you saw, the original relay, unmodified would have worked once in one direction, then shorted the "up" and "down" circuits together the next time it was operated.

My Smiths pump has an Orange/Red wire and a black Earth, which is more obvious, but yes, the main supply from the solenoid comes in through the Orange/Red wire. The solenoid valves are not sensitive to polarity and can be wired either way round (mine have green wires).

Glad to hear your build is moving along - it's going to be really nice when it's done. And you have some more time to do it, with all events at Brooklands on hold!

Lauren

Sorry but just to clarify, I mean to put a fuse between battery and the stand alone solenoid (that then goes to live on the top of the pump), not a fuse on the side green wires that go to internal solenoids.

Brooklands, yes I get more time or do the days just seem longer!

Sorry but just to clarify, I mean to put a fuse between battery and the stand alone solenoid (that then goes to live on the top of the pump), not a fuse on the side green wires that go to internal solenoids.
    Yes, that's the one. The solenoid valves don't draw anything like as much current as the pump motor, although if you wanted to you could fuse upstream of the supplies to the switches, assuming they share a common harness with the pump.

Lauren

All wired ready for the big moment
    and nothing!
    Well sort of, when I put the terminal on the battery there was an sound from the oil
    in the pump. Nothing got hot, and the fuse didn't blow so that's good!

Everything I've done is new apart from the solenoid, which I just found in the garage.
    It has a little damage to the plastic and I don't remember its history. I did earth its base.

I've just ordered another to eliminate it, generic Spitfire, Mini etc one. Won't be here for a week
    though to try it!

All wired ready for the big moment
    and nothing!
    Well sort of, when I put the terminal on the battery there was an sound from the oil
    in the pump. Nothing got hot, and the fuse didn't blow so that's good!

Everything I've done is new apart from the solenoid, which I just found in the garage.
    It has a little damage to the plastic and I don't remember its history. I did earth its base.

I've just ordered another to eliminate it, generic Spitfire, Mini etc one. Won't be here for a week
    though to try it!
    Not sure what you mean by ‘a sound from the oil’ but it could be that you’ve only powered the pump solenoid and not powered the pump itself. When the pump is running you can’t mistake the racket it makes.
    Check your wiring with the instructions near the end of the Modification Manual. Just make sure you have connected the pump and solenoids correctly.
    If the pump motor is correctly connected via the contactor (starter solenoid) activating it should make the pump operate. Then applying 12v and earth to one pair of the pump solenoid (usually green) wires should pump either up or down.

Good luck.
    Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hello Man, Can you tell us exactly what you did (what you were expecting) and what happenned.
    Pretty sure there is enough experience of the Smiths pump on this forum to get this sorted.

Hi

I've checked the wiring following the simplest diagram and all ok.
    I suspected the solenoid may be inoperative so I bypassed it and immediately
    got the unmistakeable sound of the pump- but no lifting of the roof.

I guess it needs the solenoid for that to happen- I've ordered a new one.
    Last edited by novanewbie17; 23-05-2020 at 10:36 AM.