Thread: Wiper blade - what am I missing?

Wiper blade - what am I missing?

Hi all,

Simple but frustrating query. When the windscreen accident occurred my wiper blade was bent beyond saving. I purchased a replacement blade section and tucked it away in the cupboard for future use.

The new windscreen was fitted this week, so I went this evening to fit the pantograph arm and wiper blade. However as soon as I took the new blade out of its packet the rubber strip fell out from the grips completely. It appears there is a moulding in the rubber to stop it sliding out in one direction but not the other.

I don’t remember this being the case with the last one, but frustratingly the old one has knocked around the garage for the last year but I threw it out last week! So I have nothing to compare to. I thought there would be some retaining clip or similar the other side, or do I just orientate to put the block at the top?

Hopefully the pics help a little, just obviously don’t want to risk the blade slipping and scratching the new screen.

cheers all

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

Odd... I think they do that on some blades to allow for expansion and movement on the more curved windscreens?
    Also, I would do as you suggested since movement should try to push the blade outwards

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hello Jim, I have a complete new pantograph system (probably form the same source) in a box at home, I will check for you tonight.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Jim - the rubber blade refill slides through the guides as you say. There should be a notch at one end, which allows a small plastic locating tab to be pushed through. The tab has lugs on it that locate either side of the metal guide to stop the blade from sliding up or down.

One end is free to accommodate various screen curvatures, as noted above.

The little plastic locating tabs are usually provided with the blade refill.

Sorry if the explanation is not particularly clear
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Mine looks to be a different set-up:
    On one end, the rubber of the blade has a notch that the end grabber bites into, it doesn't allow movement in any direction.
    The other end 'floats', allowing movement in any direction.
    There are 2 metal 'guides' that runs the length of the blade on either side.

IMG_20200620_2241219.jpg

IMG_20200620_2241000.jpg

IMG_20200620_2241416.jpg

IMG_20200620_2240455.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Hi Jim - the rubber blade refill slides through the guides as you say. There should be a notch at one end, which allows a small plastic locating tab to be pushed through. The tab has lugs on it that locate either side of the metal guide to stop the blade from sliding up or down.

One end is free to accommodate various screen curvatures, as noted above.

The little plastic locating tabs are usually provided with the blade refill.

Sorry if the explanation is not particularly clear
    Thanks Lauren - I do recall those little clips and did rummage through the bag to check! As per Steve’s update, and a message from Phil who both have the same blade it seems not with this one, but mine is definitely sloppy compared to their ones!
    All the best,

Jim

Thanks Steve, very useful. Phil has messaged me too with the same item in stock too. Part label useful sanity check too - we are all the same. Mine is definitely not biting into anything - the strips and rubber just fell out as I opened the bag!

Think I will order another to be safe and then return this one as don’t fancy crimping it myself and always doubting it!

[QUOTE=steve;133500]

IMG_20200620_2240455.jpgQUOTE]
    All the best,

Jim

All my rubber blades have a little 'arrow' at one end that clips into the runner.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Hi all,

I got a replacement wiper blade and the fixed end was properly engaged with the grip in the rubber hole so it could not slide. The other end is free to allow flex.

Clearly my original was not clipped together correctly when assembled - I didn’t fancy manhandling the rubber into place and risk damaging it, or having to bend clips so a replacement seemed safer.

So sorted - thanks all for your checks.
    Pic attached is the good one

All the best,

Jim
    89CECA01-3A49-4F1D-8274-9D203F1F2FB6.jpg
    All the best,

Jim