Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front discs weak pedal

Front discs weak pedal

Hi everybody.
    I put a compomotive pedal box with bias bar into my eagle Ss.
    Ive managed to bleed the rear drumbs and hydraulic clutch. Ive been having trouble with the front though.

Ive tried bleeding with a vacuum pump and an Eezibleed kit.
    The pedal has firmed up a bit but its still too weak.
    When I bleed the brakes, I dont see any air bubbles. If i clamp both flexy pipes off, the pedal is rock solid.

I also think the front discs are grabbing slightly as the wheels are very stiff to turn. Im putting this down to pitted and rusty discs. Ive got new ones that are going on later.

Has anybody else had problems bleeding the brakes. I can rule everything else out as I have replaced everything.

Thanks

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBailey View Post

..... If i clamp both flexy pipes off, the pedal is rock solid.
    Are the flexi pipes expanding? Maybe worth replacing them?

The flexi hoses are new on both the front and back.

Do you know if the front calipers are designed to be on a particular side of the car.
    The bleed nipples are on the bottom of the calipers and im now wondering if they should be on the top.
    Last edited by ChrisBailey; 12-07-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Do you know if the front calipers are designed to be on a particular side of the car.
    The bleed nipples are on the bottom of the calipers and im now wondering if they should be on the top.

On the basis of air rising it would seem logical the bleed nipples are on the top. I have Lancia delta calipers on mine (as they have an integrated handbrake) , which I need to take off and turn upside down to bleed them for precisely that reason

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries

Yeah that is the answer mate, there must be air pockets in the caliper; the nipples should be at the top on either side.

So if you can swap them over to get the nipples uppermost, go ahead, what calipers are you using?
    Did you mean Compbrake pedal box - I googled Compomotive nothing came up.
    Last edited by steve; 12-07-2020 at 12:01 PM.

I meant compbrake.

Ill swap the calipers over and try again.
    Hopefully thats it

If you have a solid pedal with the pipes clamped off then it is 100% the calipers and having them on the wrong side (up side down) is the problem for sure. Mind you, I have 4 nipples on each of the Wilwoods and still a bugger to do.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I swapped the calipers over today.
    After re bleeding the calipers, the pedal is much better.
    I think there is a tiny bit of air still in the lines as the pedal moves a small amount before going rock solid.

Hopefully this helps somebody else in the future.
    I assumed the calipers could be fitted on either side, Im sure I read that on one of the supplier websites (maybe jbugs?).
    oh well.

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    I swapped the calipers over today.
    After re bleeding the calipers, the pedal is much better.
    I think there is a tiny bit of air still in the lines as the pedal moves a small amount before going rock solid.

Hopefully this helps somebody else in the future.
    I assumed the calipers could be fitted on either side, Im sure I read that on one of the supplier websites (maybe jbugs?).
    oh well.
    I’ve still to fit mine Chris .... I’m grateful for the info, thanks for sharing your problem with us

Make sure you've got the stop plate properly adjusted as it can make a big difference too.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns