Thread: Nova for Sale

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    [...] I ran a body shop for over 15 years
    [...]

Mike
    Hello Mike, Let's get the benefit of your experience;

If you are painting a Nova bodyshell, to get a top-end, long lasting finish:
    What prep would you do?
    What primers, base coat(s) would you use?
    What top coat?

Would you do anything special to prevent Osmosis spots/bubbles? or the 'bleed-though' issue mentioned by Dave & Jim (I take your point that there are other causes of blistering).

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Steve,

[...] but I think you're still having 'ratty' thoughts.
    hmm...

[...] but in the meantime get an inconspicuous area (eg underside of front undertray?) painted asap so that you have lots of time to monitor any reaction before committing to the 1st class paint job your Nova deserves.

Hope this helps!

Alistair

Now that is an interesting idea ;-)

Osmosis in grp boats tends to be worst below the waterline ... I wonder if the Novas which are affected have ever sat outside for long periods? .... My Nova has spent most of itís life in a garage.

Alistair
    Interesting observation, mine has been garage the 30+ years I have owned it. Maybe that has something to do with it

Mine's done it with gunned celluose, rattle-can acrylic, rolled rustolleum and rolled yacht enamel - stripped back to gelcoat between different finishes. The yacht paint has been the most effective and has the benefit of being cheap and easilly obtainable since it needs doing so often. Popping them often releases a small amount of fluid, and the bubble flakes away down to sound primer. Some panels never do it, but some of those are part of the main tub. Worst areas are rear haunches and sunroof panel, but the nostril bonnet does it, and that I laid up in a mould taken from Bushboys many years back....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

So put simply ...

.... it could either be micro blistering of the paint or osmosis of the grp, and local close examination, possibly with some destructive testing, would be necessary to tell which one it is?
    Micro blisters as in the name very small and are in the paint, osmosis in the gel coat will be larger blisters which could be between layers of gel or between the glass fibre and gel it's usually found in boat hulls or a neglected grp, my Nova has it purely down to me leaving it in the garden for over 10 years uncovered
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hello Mike, Let's get the benefit of your experience;

If you are painting a Nova bodyshell, to get a top-end, long lasting finish:
    What prep would you do?
    What primers, base coat(s) would you use?
    What top coat?

Would you do anything special to prevent Osmosis spots/bubbles? or the 'bleed-though' issue mentioned by Dave & Jim (I take your point that there are other causes of blistering).
    Hi Steve
    Ok bare grp shell make sure the body is sound and if itís fairly new get rid of any trace of release mould agent ,now depending on the quality of the surface if its good sand the panels ,then an etch adhesion coat followed by a high build 2k primer blocked down and recoated to get desired finish ,if the panel is not good i.e. rippled after the etch use a high build polyester spray filler which is best dry sanded as this does absorb water ,followed by the 2k primer, top coat straight 2k solid colour or base and 2k clear I know 2k not DIY material but itís so much more durable than cellulose or single pack acrylic . Funny enough I when to visit John Rand (Lotus nova) for a BBQ last week and of cause talk cars and heís still got a cobra I painted 30+ years ago, which after his insistence was top coated in cellulose but still looks as good as the day I painted it mind it does enjoy a cosseted life definably not out in the rain also I found this https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1233407 the other day which I had to do a lot of body mods it still looks good.
    With the prevention I certainly wouldnít use a car cover trapping in moisture, keep the garaged aired and seal the paint i.e. wax and polish
    Mike