Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Now runs and drives!

Thanks Steve, and thanks Phil for the suspension write up.
    I'm sure I'll give it a go myself and if I get stuck then get help.
    I've looked it up on You tube as well and I think the main thing is making sure
    I'm out of the way when the spring plate releases under tension, but as you say
    if I use a trolly jack it should work out fine.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by novanewbie17 View Post
    I also went for an early seventies number plate on the back.
    It's these that I really remember from my childhood, common on everything from Maxis to Bentleys though they started to be replaced by the flat acrylic versions by the mid-eighties.
    I noticed that too. Number plate style really helps to date the car, something I am very proud of. Why should I want to pretend my car was made last year?

Its funny how most people seem to think that number plates went from pressed aluminium to flat plastic, when in reality the pressed aluminium was phased out in '66 (I had one of those), replaced with black and white raised plastic numerals until 1972 (I've got one of them), raised plastic characters on yellow and white until 1978-ish (had one of them too), pressed characters from 1978 to the early '80s and then flat plastic thereafter...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I've now had the tyres fitted to the rear- 215 70 14 and no I didn't know they were
    going to have a thin whitewall either.

I'm not sure they work but if not I can paint it in with rubberised tyre paint.
    IMG_0908.jpg
    The rear needs to settle as it's been on jack stands and of course I still need to even the ride height.

One part of me likes the 70s Californian cool look it gives, but the other part of me wanted
    the theme to be Italian influenced!

What do you think?

I've also loosely completed the interior though I'm still working on a simple vertical centre console.
    Dash is loosely in place as I need to get behind it all to wire up but it gives an idea.

Just realised I have Gulf colours going on!
    Phil has a Gulf blue Nova with an orange Capri and I have an Orange Nov with a blue Fintail Alpine!
    The Alpine is the same year, colour and model as the first Bond car- the Alpine in Dr No.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by novanewbie17; 11-09-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Looking good - very Lamborghini Miura
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I like the interior.
    What are you using for the speedo/rev counter? is that taken from producton car and mounted on the standard Nova dash pod?
    How is the visibility of speedo/rev ?

I think black side pockets would work well for you.

IMG_0920.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I like the interior.
    What are you using for the speedo/rev counter? is that taken from producton car and mounted on the standard Nova dash pod?
    How is the visibility of speedo/rev ?

I think black side pockets would work well for you.

They are instruments from an Alfasud.
    They sit higher than the 944 binnacle (which I really couldn't
    see through the steering whee)l and give full visability. The other dials are from an Alfasud including
    the 3 dial binnacle which kind of works but needs angle adjustment.

Black door pockets is where I'm heading- I've also dyed the steering wheel black from white. Everything needs sticking down!

I've also simplified the side stripe to a single stripe.

It all looks better in real life and I can't stop working on it now...
    Last edited by novanewbie17; 11-09-2020 at 05:35 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi NN17,
    Your Nova’s looking great ... that colour really suits the car. If your rear tyres aren’t ‘directional’ you could have them refitted the other way round to put the white strip on the inside.

IMG_0882.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Hi NN17,
    Your Nova’s looking great ... that colour really suits the car. If your rear tyres aren’t ‘directional’ you could have them refitted the other way round to put the white strip on the inside.
    Hi,

Thanks, yes the tyres are directional and say 'outside' on them- the tread is visibly different either side too.
    Last edited by novanewbie17; 11-09-2020 at 05:41 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi NN17, the white stripe is just a rubberised paint. This video shows how to remove it fairly quickly ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnliPLxptr0

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    My, you have been busy! Excellent work.

I think the "outside" message is just to stop tyre fitters getting it wrong, as long as you respect the direction of normal rotation it shouldn't make a difference if the whitewalls are on the inside or the outside.

I vote for Italian stance - the jacked up look at the back is so passe, even in the 'States. Plus, you don't want your swing axles jacking up on cornering...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!