Thread: Nova at Santa Pod

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar

Nova at Santa Pod

Found this on youtube ... Nova with 1914cc VW aircooled engine with turbo at Santa Pod in August 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z14SInFxoA

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Wow Nice!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Found this on youtube ... Nova with 1914cc VW aircooled engine with turbo at Santa Pod in August 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z14SInFxoA
    Ran mine at Santa pod in the early eighties at a kit car meet during a drag event and they let us have a few runs ,managed a 13.9 sec run even with the car full of camping gear ,never given it so much stick even got a yelp from the tyres changing up to 3rd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Ran mine at Santa pod in the early eighties at a kit car meet during a drag event and they let us have a few runs ,managed a 13.9 sec run even with the car full of camping gear ,never given it so much stick even got a yelp from the tyres changing up to 3rd
    That's fantastic Mike!
    Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    That's fantastic Mike!
    Alistair
    Yes Alistair a fun weekend the only car kit car faster was a jag engine Kouger ,on the Sunday there was a Ferrari running ,the organisers asked if he’d run against me but he wasn’t having it ,don’t blame him really

Mike

Yes Alistair a fun weekend the only car kit car faster was a jag engine Kouger ,on the Sunday there was a Ferrari running ,the organisers asked if he’d run against me but he wasn’t having it ,don’t blame him really

Mike

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    managed a 13.9 sec run even with the car full of camping gear ,never given it so much stick even got a yelp from the tyres changing up to 3rd
    Man, that is fast - I remember Nova Nigel took his car to Bug Jam one year and managed a 17 second quarter mile. His car had a 914 engine, albeit in standard tune.

But getting into the 13s... that's up there with some really crazy stuff
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Man, that is fast - I remember Nova Nigel took his car to Bug Jam one year and managed a 17 second quarter mile. His car had a 914 engine, albeit in standard tune.

But getting into the 13s... that's up there with some really crazy stuff
    Hi Lauren
    That was with the alfa 2lt engine, it had cleaned up ports re jeted carbs and a decent exhaust manifold but it used to go, 140+ on an autobarn once, I'm getting some stick from my wife over the current conversion thinks I'm nuts, that's going to be around 215/220 bhp with a few tweaks and the gearbox will make a big difference with nice close ratios

Mike

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    I'm getting some stick from my wife over the current conversion thinks I'm nuts, that's going to be around 215/220 bhp with a few tweaks and the gearbox will make a big difference with nice close ratios
    Yes, it's the ratios that make all the difference - the turbo Nova in the video suffers from the same problem that almost all VW transaxles have - an enormous gulf between 2nd and 3rd gear. Rev out in 2nd, into 3rd and the engine just bogs down.

I used to have quite leisurely acceleration from my 1.5 Ti ratios, with 0-60 times around 9 or 10 seconds, but the close ratio 1.2 Ti gearbox I currently have provides much livelier performance!

All from just 95 bhp...

Can you get close ratios for the 164 gearbox? To fill those rear arches you will probably need to increase the diameter of the wheel beyond the standard fare, although hopefully not as much as I had to (Alfasud used a 13" wheel and I have 15" wheels, plus taller sidewalls to boot)

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!