Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d printing

3d printing

Hi all,
    I know some of us here have/use 3D printers, Iíve just had one delivered and Iím using (or attempting to) Fusion360.
    Do any of you use this? Iím trying to create a relatively simple shape yet struggling and could do with a pointer or two if possible.

Thanks!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Sorry I can not help with fusion 360, I use Sketchup and find that very good relatively easy and anything I get stuck with there are lots of tutorials on you tube.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    When I first explored 3D printing, I played with a web-based CAD software (TinkerCAD?)
    but all that happenned was that I lost an evening of my life - I got nowhere with it.

I figured that my time was better spent elsewhere on the build, so I now outsource my 3D print requirements, both the CAD design and the printing itself.

Sorry - not much help to you Dan, but that was my experience.
    I am thinking that you might have to bite the bullet, and learn CAD from scratch.

Same as Steve, I gave it a go but spent far too much time without any benefits.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I’ve made some progress since yesterday.
    I echo your feelings on tinkercad, I too lost an evening to it!
    I’ve managed to design and print a couple of simple things so far but seem to be getting my head around it slowly.
    Dirk, tried sketch up this morning and couldn’t get anywhere. Making progress with Fusion though so all is not lost.

I use Rhino which was introduced to me by my daughter who is a Jewellery designer. I can import simple vector drawn flat shapes and outlines and extrude these to create 3d versions. A good example is Lettering for making signs. I can import all the letters of a name and extrude each letter to create built up lettering - these can be illuminted with LEd's.

Extruded shapes can also be combined to create more complex 3d objects. Flat surfaces can also be curved or extruded along a curved pathway to create a more complex object. That's how Rhino works anyway, don't know if other systems work in similar ways as this is the only software I have used for 3D printing.

I use it in my business as a signmaker and given that you too are in the business you may be interested in how I make signs using a 3D printer:- https://www.facebook.com/TheRightSig...type=3&theater
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Nice one Phill, Very helpful! Thankyou

I guess at the end of the day you have to pick a package and stick with it, start with the most basic of things and build on the experience, you are not going to learn much in an evening. I have used AutoCad 2D for over 20 years and I am still learning new things, I work with architects that have had formal training on it and the things that they can do is amazing. A complex Cad program will take a lot of work mastering even the basics. I managed to draw a simple 30 tooth machine gear in Sketchup a few weeks ago and thought that was a massive achievement after 2 years of using the software.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I use Rhino which was introduced to me by my daughter who is a Jewellery designer. I can import simple vector drawn flat shapes and outlines and extrude these to create 3d versions. A good example is Lettering for making signs. I can import all the letters of a name and extrude each letter to create built up lettering - these can be illuminted with LEd's.

Extruded shapes can also be combined to create more complex 3d objects. Flat surfaces can also be curved or extruded along a curved pathway to create a more complex object. That's how Rhino works anyway, don't know if other systems work in similar ways as this is the only software I have used for 3D printing.

I use it in my business as a signmaker and given that you too are in the business you may be interested in how I make signs using a 3D printer:- https://www.facebook.com/TheRightSig...type=3&theater

That was one of the very few times I have clicked on a Facebook link and found something interesting and useful - thank you.

:-) Curious to see how long that resin lasts outside, Phill. At least here in the States, nothing is rated for an exterior use any longer than a couple months at best with the UV degradation.