Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodwood Speed Week

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Goodwood Speed Week

This event, billed as all the best bits from the Goodwood Members Meeting, Festival of Speed and Revival all rolled into one, is being held on Thursday 15th through to Sunday 18th October at the circuit. Naturally I knew nothing about this as I had pretty much written off this year for car events, but last Saturday I got a call from my friend Sean who had dropped by the circuit on his way back from Chichester, only to find masses of classic racing machinery out on the track, with free and unfettered access to the pit area and all the teams. Why don't I come down and take a look?

Not needing to be asked twice, I rolled out the Green Machine and blatted down to Goodwood, for me a journey of just over 20 miles. I arrived just after 3:30pm, and some of the machinery had already left, but I loved the casual atmosphere of the practice day, so reminiscent of when I used to visit Goodwood before it was restored - you would just turn up on-spec., and there would be a vintage Aston DB2/4, or a Ferrari 308 GTS doing practice laps.

This is what I saw this time...

A brace of Lola T70 Mk3s (love the crossram manifolds)

Surtees Can-Am Lola heading off for a another few laps...

The "Hairy Canary" off on another trip around the track. This car put in more laps than anyone else and sounded awesome as it went past the pits...

Lotus Elan Shapecraft (an aluminium fastback coupe roof grafted onto a standard Lotus Elan), all packed away in the back of a Mercedes Sprinter van! Says a lot about how big vehicles of today are. Or how small vehicles were back then

Sean's brother Simon managed to get down in his Porker. Run on a shoestring, the electronic ignition box is still working after my £28 high voltage capacitor repair. List price for a secondhand replacement? £500!!!

Suitably socially distant, what we think is a recent US import 911T. Very nice...

Team Mini Clubman packing up for the day. All breathed on by Swiftune, of course

Woody went almost as fast as the Hairy Canary. Breadvan styling actually helps the aerodynamics compared to a standard saloon, although the wood bits don't!

TVR Grantura was accompanied by a very rapid V8 Griffith - no pictures of that one sadly

Well-known BMW 2000 touring car.

With so few people around it was easy to maintain a safe distance. I was even roped into an impromptu interview and photo session by a chap starting his own Instagram site - Ted's Car Mag I think he called it. I don't do social media (only social distancing) so I don't think I will see any of the pictures myself, but he certainly took plenty of 'em!

Goodwood Speed Week is being held entirely behind closed doors, with live video stream and TV coverage on ITV4 on Friday and Saturday, so look out for it there. I felt very privileged to have been able to be there in person and experience some of the thrill of these powerful racing machines.

The Green Machine ran faultlessly there and back, averaging 33 mpg on mainly rural B-roads. Back to more mundane duties at the weekend, but looking forward to watching the livestream from Goodwood over the weekend.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Great pictures Lauren - The Lola T70's are my favourite though my first car was a mini van and there were some nice examples there. Can't believe how small they are compared to a modern vehicle.

I'll be tuning in - hope to se a glimpse of your Nova too?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I'll be tuning in - hope to se a glimpse of your Nova too?
    I very much doubt it. In spite of having a kt car of his own (the Kellison Coupe), I'm sure the Green Machine was seen as an unwelcome interloper. There was a film crew there, probably getting filler material for the main event, but they didn't go near the Nova. After all, why would the general public want to see an old 1970s kit car pretending to be a Lamborghini? (Their interpretation, not mine).

It was enough just to be there, to be honest. But if you can find that Ted's Car Mag on Instagram there might be something...

Lauren

Some very interesting machinery Lauren, I did see it advertised but no time to go unfortunately Goodwood is a great circuit to drive if you ever get the chance
    Mike

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Thanks Lauren .... live racing on ITV4 right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Some very interesting machinery Lauren, I did see it advertised but no time to go unfortunately Goodwood is a great circuit to drive if you ever get the chance
    Mike
    Yes, I have been around once or twice, not competitively though!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post

Car looks good Lauren, pushing it in the wet as well 😁, I used to do mainly tarmac rallying, and charity days at goodwood when people paid to have the living daylight scared out of them. On a test day managed to roll a car end over end coming out of Woodcote corner after hitting a bank ouch

Excellent Lauren!

These have got to be some of the best photos we've seen on the Forum for ages!

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Car looks good Lauren, pushing it in the wet as well 😁
    Thanks Mike - it looks faster than it really is . I didn't want to stack it so soon after getting back on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Excellent Lauren!

These have got to be some of the best photos we've seen on the Forum for ages!

Alistair
    Thanks Alistair - they were taken at the exit of the Goodwood chicane by Ken Carrington from the AROC, he does trackday snaps in his spare time. It's a pity the weather wasn't better, but I wasn't going to let a bit of rain spoil the moment!

Lauren

PS - just starting to watch the TV coverage now. I'm looking forward to the Gerry Marshall trophy race!

PS - just starting to watch the TV coverage now. I'm looking forward to the Gerry Marshall trophy race!
    I watched the Gerry Marshall trophy race live earlier today ... they were really pushing these old Capris, Cameros, a BMW, an SD1, and a couple of Triumphs. Thoroughly enjoyed it ... I'm sure you will too!