Thread: Gearbox types

Gearbox types

Hi All,
    I have 2 gearboxes available for my Nova and just checking them over to see which one I will use.
    One is AC (1500), and the other is AO (1600).
    They both appear to have the same Final Ratio, with the latter being LSD, but only seems to have been made between 1970 to 1972.
    My question is, what are the differences / benefits / limitations between the 2 boxes?
    An additional question is, if I rebuild the type 4 engine to what level can I still use this box up to 1700/2000)? Or do I need to source another box if I go up to 2000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of standard beetle boxes handling Subaru 2.0L lumps and even V6 lumps, so I would say not an issue for a type 4 lump

'Officially' the std VW T1 gearbox will handle 120BHP at the flywheel but it will handle a lot more.
    All models are
    1st 3.80:1
    2nd; 2.06:1
    3rd; 1.26:1
    4th; 0.89:1
    Rev; 3.07:1

Diffs do vary,
    1200 and 1300 and auto 4.375:1
    1500 and 1600, 4.125:1 This includes 1302 and 1303 IRS which I have with swing axles.89:1
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I didn't know there was a VW Limited Slip 'box available, I would go for that option, especially as you are upping the power.

Most Novas have larger diameter rear wheels than the stock Beetle, this will raise the gearing slightly depending on how large you go.

If you are rebuilding the 'box it might be worth adding a long-legged 4th gear for relaxed motorway cruising, although this kind of mod is pricey for air cooled VWs.

If you're going to be producing a lot of power fit a pair of heavy duty side plates as the crown wheel will push away from the pinion, I've used a pair on my old set up with an alfa 2 lt twin cam engine and it seems to of held up well

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I didn't know there was a VW Limited Slip 'box available, I would go for that option, especially as you are upping the power.

Most Novas have larger diameter rear wheels than the stock Beetle, this will raise the gearing slightly depending on how large you go.

If you are rebuilding the 'box it might be worth adding a long-legged 4th gear for relaxed motorway cruising, although this kind of mod is pricey for air cooled VWs.
    Example; Std VW T1 165/80-R15 = 25.4" diameter, circumference 79.7", = 795 Rev per mile
    255/60/15 = 27" diameter, 84.9" circumference, 746 Rev per mile.

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

Go play with this, I had great fun calculating my 235/60-R15 fronts to speedo pulses v RPMile.
    Last edited by Peter; 22-10-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl