Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crimp or Solder

Quote Originally Posted by frodoz737 View Post
    My apologizes for not being a more frequent participant here, but with regards to "said repairs" on a machine that deals with the "environment and/or vibration"...you will not find a better solution than the environment crimper/crimps spec. M22520/37-01 for common sized wire. Fact is, most coax/triax and shielded "center conductors"...and connector pins are almost always crimped. Solder in generally is left to boards and shielding in industry. Daniels, Raychem and Sargent make most of these and while the cost new is high for some, they can be purchased "not new" for as little as $50 US. Just saying....since it's more than good enough for planes, trains, automotive and most industrial/commercial applications. YMMV.
    I'm still considering the GMT 232 crimper but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

The calibration tool costs more than the crimper tool and theres nothing to it. If you knew the size of the wire in the tool you could make your own calibration tool.

I assume the crimper is for non insulated splices or ends.
    do you have to use a specific brand or style of splice or end with these crimpers??

having been asked the time we end up building a clock.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

These are dedicated type crimps...however they are very common. As for recalibration, for use as described "here", you will never see an issue. See video previously submitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    having been asked the time we end up building a clock.
    If I build my own clock I wont have to ask for the time anymore.

Reviews on several lower priced crimpers have not been to favorable.

This crimper has always got high reviews.

I have used the common or garden ratchet crimper, some of which are over 30 years old. for both insulated and none insulated terminals since 1988 and well over two thousand joints (as well as soldered ones required by Thatcham, Tracker,(Lo-Jack) Philips, Serpi-Star) and I have only ever had problems on the 'pull test' with cheaper 'shiny' terminals that came with kits. good quality connectors from a reliable source have never given me any problems.
    Flat crimper, non-ratchet, are not so good even for DIT jobs and have been known to actually cut terminal insulation rather than just crush.
    For none insulated terminals it is important to prepare terminals 'ears' which are always splayed out, properly and not bend the ears incorrectly.

But as they say, each unto their own.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl