Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPAS Conversions

EPAS Conversions

I'm planning on going down the Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) route on my scooby Nova. I haven't fully planned out which solution I'm going down, I've purchased a couple of options to experiment with.

I thought I would share this article as I found it very interesting, especially the fail safe mode on some of the Toyota EPAS systems.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tec...ps-conversion/

What about the Opel Corsa unit, small, self contained and doesn't hook into a ECO/CAN BUS. 50-60 quid all in.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Interesting article. I didn't realise so many vehicles has electric assisted steering.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    What about the Opel Corsa unit, small, self contained and doesn't hook into a ECO/CAN BUS. 50-60 quid all in.

Because it doesn't have the fail safe mode and expects inputs that our cars don't have without work.

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/cors...steering-epas/

^ good article!

I realise this is a slightly old thread, but having fitted a Corse EPAS unit to my Nova, I can report that it has absolutely transformed how the car feels to drive.

I have a relatively small steering wheel, so at low (urban) speeds it was hard work to steer and terrible at a standstill. Now I can turn the wheel lock to with 1 finger when stationary and when out on the open road, it just feels normal.

It's definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
    cheers

Paul

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Sounds very promising Paul,
    Did you take any photos of your conversion? It would be great if you could also give us a short explanation of any technical issues you encountered. I take it you managed to fit it with the body still attached to the chassis?
    Cheers,
    Alistair

I agree the later Corsa EPS is complicated but I think the early ones are a lot less problematic.
    Another system is the Mercedes/Porsche electric pump with conventional power steering rack as I have on my A-class W168. There is no hook up to the ECU, it is all internal on the pump with only power, earth and a ignition signal. also very quite.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Sounds very promising Paul,
    Did you take any photos of your conversion? It would be great if you could also give us a short explanation of any technical issues you encountered. I take it you managed to fit it with the body still attached to the chassis?
    Cheers,
    Alistair
    +1

As it happens, I've just started on a body of resto and rebuild of my Nova...long overdue...so I'll be able to get plenty of pics.

For now, I'll explain as best I can.

I used the EPAS unit from a Corsa B, along with its control unit..£50 from eBay. I also bought a variable bypass for where the Corsa's ABS (ie wheel speed) sensor should fit...basically a variable resistor wired to the correct plug. This allows you to adjust the 'enthusiasm' of the EPAS effect manually, though I set it in the middle and never touch it!

The unit not too bulky. The motor sticks out perpendicular to the steering column's axis of rotation. If the unit is mounted under the dash, with the motor horizontal and to the right, there's just enough space so it doesn't fowl your knees, and the steering wheel sits at a comfortable height. That will of course depend on how your seat is placed. I have a pair of GRP racing buckets tilted back quite a bit (to give the necessary headroom). These have no padding, giving more space for my legs under the wheel. Note that the EPAS unit and the steering wheel mount plus ignition barrel and switches seem to be all 1 unit...so you can't the EPAS unit closer to the pedals or bulkhead, for more leg room.

The unit's weight is far more than the GRP dash can hold (safely) so a support of some kind is needed...I kind of fudged this 1st time round...part of the reason for the rebuild!!. There are a pair of fixing points (similar to a Bug column) at the wheel end, that mount to the 'support frame'. At the other end there is a 2nd bolted on support bracket. I found it easier to remove this and to make a custom support from a steel tube that passes through the bulkhead. One end of this bolts to the unit, the other to the bulkhead. The actual output column from the EPAS unit passes through this tube and out to a UJ attached to the stock VW steering box.

Connecting all up is simple...once the motor unit and the control box are connected, its just a big beefy 12v supply (through a 50A fuse), plus a switched 12v from the ignition and away you go! With the power off, it behaves just like a normal steering column.
    cheers

Paul