Thread: DVLA have no record of my car. Help please.

DVLA have no record of my car. Help please.

Hi guys, my car has been off the road for 43 years. DVLA unsurprisingly have no record of it and I lost the log book years ago, never to be found again. I have the reg number, the chassis number and photos to prove it was mine. Do you think it’s worth pursuing with DVLA or do I have to accept that it’s lost.
    thank you.

3F380FD4-F37E-47BF-9337-2E1F7491BF49.jpg

DVLA have become more reasonable in recent years, write in with photos and whatever you have

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Hi guys, my car has been off the road for 43 years. DVLA unsurprisingly have no record of it and I lost the log book years ago, never to be found again. I have the reg number, the chassis number and photos to prove it was mine. Do you think it’s worth pursuing with DVLA or do I have to accept that it’s lost.
    thank you.

Hi Roo,

Gosh, I thought I'd had my Nova for a long time (34 years) and 'Mikemrb' has had his for 42, but I suspect you've got the record because yours was presumably on the road for a while before the '43 years'.

I agree with David that it's probably worth pursuing with the DVLA. The only thing I'm confused about is ... is the sandrail chassis the same one you used for your Nova back in the day? If not, presumably you'll just need to notify DVLA of a change of body for your sandrail?

I'm sure I've seen that black & white photo of your Nova before ... was it used in advertising material? I can't make out the reg number, but it looks like a short personal number that might be worth saving? However, to do that you'll need to have the car road legal (taxed & mot'd ... or possibly historical vehicle exemption?)

By the way, I'll be updating the Members Database (which can only be seen by members) towards the end of the year. If you'd like your details included just have a look at it to see what sort of information can be included and drop me a PM with the details.

Cheers, Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    thank you.

I'm going through the process of changing the make to nova at the moment and I'm getting the same thing I.e no record the main thing they want is photos, they are very helpful on the phone if you want the direct line for DVLA kit & rebuilds it's 01792 384904 if you take it for an mot no matter pass or fail it will then appear on the system
    Mike

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    They will have the chassis number, I got a log book with just the chassis number for one of the Avante's, the kits team at DVLA are very good talk to them and they will help with forms to fill and if you have old photos they do help.

Dirk

Cheers Mike,
    I’ll give them a try this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    I'm going through the process of changing the make to nova at the moment and I'm getting the same thing I.e no record the main thing they want is photos, they are very helpful on the phone if you want the direct line for DVLA kit & rebuilds it's 01792 384904 if you take it for an mot no matter pass or fail it will then appear on the system
    Mike
    Last edited by bobbybrown; 29-11-2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    I was going to say, the chassis number must still be on file at DVLA, even if it is still associated with the VW Beetle donor, unless the car was declared scrapped or permanently exported.

And if as I suspect your Nova did appear in Hot Car 1977, there may be some further evidence in the magazine archives. Good luck with the search for answers!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!