Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old-school build log from 1982 ...

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Hi All,

....... and if anyone has any old 80’s photos they’d like adding to the SHOWS page please feel free to send them through with perhaps a bit of text about the image.

All the best,

Mick
    Hi Mick,

So glad you've joined the Forum and it's been great to chat 'offline'.

I posted a thread in the 'Photos' section back in 2016 called 'Photos of Old Novas .... Where are they now?' but unfortunately the links to my photos aren't working. Anyway, I'll email you a few of them without any obligation ... no worries if you don't want to use any of them.

All the best,
    Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mick, In your show page (https://www.privatevillainspain.com/NOVASHOWS.htm)
    you mentioned visiting someone in hospital, that was Ray Nicholls who was Club Nova chairman in the early 80's.
    I never met Ray, but he advised me on a few things in the early days of my first build. (In those days we wrote stuff down on bits of paper and posted them in letterboxes).

I heard about his accident attending a show in the club newsletter, he stepped down as chair soon after, top man.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Mick, In your show page (https://www.privatevillainspain.com/NOVASHOWS.htm)
    you mentioned visiting someone in hospital, that was Ray Nicholls who was Club Nova chairman in the early 80's.
    I never met Ray, but he advised me on a few things in the early days of my first build. (In those days we wrote stuff down on bits of paper and posted them in letterboxes).

I heard about his accident attending a show in the club newsletter, he stepped down as chair soon after, top man.
    I never met him either Steve, but I've still got the Club Nova newsletters from that period which he used to send out. I remember looking forward to receiving the next edition!

I wrote to Ray a few times when I was the Scottish Area Representative. I also used to write out Scottish updates by hand, photocopy them at the office and then send them out to the Scottish members. Am I really that old that I can remember written communication?

Ray was always very helpful and encouraging, just like the modern day Nova enthusiasts on this Forum

Hi to everyone who has commented on my website!

Hi all,

I've just read through the thread so far and want to make a few comments:-

David (Islandman) - I'm not building another Nova, I'm amazed I did it back then to be honest. When I was building the website and the memories started coming back, and seeing the images, I just kept thinking 'did I really do that?'. You're Nova looks nice and tidy, a fine example. We tried to keep ours as near to factory build as possible. Nice to hear from you.

Phill - Thanks for getting in touch, glad you like the website, it makes the time I spent doing it worthwhile knowing other enthusiasts are going over it with such diligence.

Bobbybrown (Founder) - I will post the link as soon as I get time to alter the website, probably over Christmas.

Alistair (BlueNova) - Thanks for contacting me in the first place. I've got all your show photos and will add those to the website too together with acknowledgements to you for their inclusion. If anyone else has show photos send them my way.

Steve - Thanks so much for the name Ray Nicholls, bang on, I remember now you've said it. I did meet Ray several times at shows and even visited him in hospital when he was burned - sort of a funny story there. I was at the hospital in his room, he was laying on the bed covered with a bedsheet that was over a frame keeping the blanket off he actual skin which was burned. There was another couple there, I can't remember if they were related or friends, anyway, Ray invited the lady to lift the blanket and have a look at his legs, she did and immediately put the blanket back down again and looked all embarrassed, Ray wasn't wearing any underpants!
    I will use this information (his name) to update the website, many thanks for this Steve.

Anyone know if Ray is still about?

All the best everyone and have a the best Christmas you can in these bonkers times.

Mick
    info@PrivateVillaInSpain.com

PS - I live in the Midlands in Derby, not Spain as someone asked me.

PPS - 1980's, just a side line but does Elite Dangerous mean anything to any of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post

David (Islandman) - I'm not building another Nova,
    Sorry was mixing up "Micks", was thinking of "Micksrednova" when I wrote it