Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: restoring mk1

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Holden View Post
    Ya its behind the number plate on front undertray not seen any other
    That's a shame - looking at the underbonnet picture it looks like a chunk of bodywork has been cut out to access the steering box adjuster, I suspect the serial number was on that bit of bodywork

Is the front undertray original to the car, or has it been replaced? Is it a matching green gel coat under the red paint? If not, maybe it is also a mid-90s date code?

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Hi ya same colour, was on the road and registered in 92 so maybe build no

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Holden View Post
    Hi ya same colour, was on the road and registered in 92 so maybe build no
    Hi Barry - I don't think it is a date code. The seats come from a ADD Nova, manufactured between 1972 and 1975. The green gel coat is consistent with a bodyshell manufactured in the same timeframe. If the front undertray is the same green gel coat then it was probably moulded at the same time (lime green was not a popular Nova colour, as you know), so a "96" marking wouldn't be consistent with the date of manufacture.

Is there any evidence of markings around the hole above the steering box? Maybe something was left behind...

Lauren

No remnants of any markings on the car just a couple of rivet holes .good to know approx year body was moulded . I know the chassis date is 1960 and the engine no is from 1972 (1300 twin port). Also got name of person who registered the car so getting there with a bit of history

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    This is where ADD cars are 'stamped'. As Lauren suggests, this is in the front compartment and the steering box is just the other side of the stamp.
    Unfortunate because if the 'Box fouls the body (very common) that area is cut away. This from John's car:

Hi all which rear spoiler is the preferred one to use

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Unfortunate because if the 'Box fouls the body (very common) that area is cut away
    Depressing isn't it? The clearance problem can only arise from two issues, both easily fixed - the first is not using the factory spacers between the two body mounting points and the front beam, and the second one is not rotating the steering box far enough once the locating lug is removed from the beam. This often happens when the NS track rod doesn't clear the top of the tunnel, which is supposed to be heated until cherry red and than dimpled with a scaffolding tube or similar (nobody said building a 1970s kit car would be easy!).

It sounds like the hole in Barry's bodywork relates to an earlier build. If the clearance issue is just down to the lack of spacers, only the ground clearance and space in the front wheel arch for suspension travel will be affected, so not a safety issue, unlike the steering box alignment.

Lauren

This might be a daft question wat does ADD stand for??