Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: restoring mk1

  1. #41
    Senior Member Phill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Livingston (Scotland)
    Posts
    1,524
    ADD - Automotive design and development.

    I was always under the impression that it was the droop in the nose of the later cars (Elam era onward) that caused the steering box to foul the bulkhead. Both my original and current cars have had to have the hole cut in the bulkhead to prevent fouling. The Original cars and as far as I know other derivatives such as the Sterling and Eureka didn't suffer this problem. I can only assume it was caused by an error introduced into the main body tub mould when the extra 1" was added to the height and the resulting "droop" of the front compartment
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

    http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns


  2. #42
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,446
    Hi Barry - ADD is Automotive Design and Development, which was the name of the company founded by Richard Oakes (the designer of the Nova) and Phil Sayers (who did the engineering) in 1972. Your Nova was one of only 179 (give or take) manufactured before ADD went bankrupt in 1975.

    Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  3. #43
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    ADD - Automotive design and development.

    I was always under the impression that it was the droop in the nose of the later cars (Elam era onward) that caused the steering box to foul the bulkhead. Both my original and current cars have had to have the hole cut in the bulkhead to prevent fouling. The Original cars and as far as I know other derivatives such as the Sterling and Eureka didn't suffer this problem. I can only assume it was caused by an error introduced into the main body tub mould when the extra 1" was added to the height and the resulting "droop" of the front compartment
    Hi Phill - I guess that is a possibility for the Mk2 - the nose of the car is braced by the front undertray, so the angle that the nose adopts will be determined to a degree by the position of the undertray mounting flange on the VW floorpan. Adding an inch to the depth of the tub could have pulled the nose down. However, any shell that has been allowed to sit for some time without this support will sag, and I suspect that is the principal cause of this problem in Mk1 cars like Barry's, particularly as many examples have had their VW floorpans removed and have sat unsupported fro a number of years.

    Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  4. #44
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Holden View Post
    Hi all which rear spoiler is the preferred one to use
    Hi Barry - there was no factory spoiler or rear wing designed for the Nova, although previous club members have sold "Whale Tail" spoilers in the 1980s, when such things were popularised by the Lamborghini Countach. Whether you fit one or not is a matter of personal taste - opinion is divided with regard to the aesthetics, so there is no consensus amongst owners. From a technical perspective there is no evidence to suggest that a rear wing/spoiler will confer any aerodynamic advantage at legal road speeds.

    Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  5. #45
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Rhyl North Wales
    Posts
    26
    Hi thanks for the info.. I do prefer the look without so will stay without

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    171
    My car also lime green gel, put on the road in 1974 its production number 101 with an under tray of 100 so I think they grabbed whatever parts were available in the same colour to go with the main tub
    Mike

  7. #47
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,431
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    My car also lime green gel, put on the road in 1974 its production number 101 with an under tray of 100 so I think they grabbed whatever parts were available in the same colour to go with the main tub
    Mike
    Can someone post a pic of a 'stamped' number on an ADD undertray please?
    I didn't know this was a feature of ADD cars; do any Elam Mk 1 Cars have their panels stamped? Where?

  8. #48
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    My car also lime green gel, put on the road in 1974 its production number 101 with an under tray of 100 so I think they grabbed whatever parts were available in the same colour to go with the main tub
    Mike
    That is interesting - so ADD cars had markings on some of the separate panels as well as the main body tub. Another mystery solved!

    Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  9. #49
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Rhyl North Wales
    Posts
    26
    Hi all .. hydraulic pump ordered just waiting for it arrive. Went for the hydra pump

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Holden View Post
    Hi all .. hydraulic pump ordered just waiting for it arrive. Went for the hydra pump
    Don't forget you will also need a unidirectional flow control valve to put on the down circuit to prevent any 'water hammer" effect

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •