Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: restoring mk1

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Had to stand on my head for that one Barry! ..... but I see your windscreen’s now fitted and you’re ready ... wishing you all the best for the mot. Are you exempt and going for it anyway, or doesn’t your Nova fit the criteria? Even if exempt you’re still best to get an mot or an engineer’s report.
    Alistair

Nicely turned out but those headlights do look a little "lost" amongst the space provided for, maybe there is a way to make them look less so by putting a black band at the top of the perspex covers. Or even adding some band to the back panel part way down to break up the space

Hi it's a 1960 chassis with 1972 1300 twinport and was first registered in 1992 so not sure about exemptions as yet

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Barry - your build is looking good, but if you are going to submit the car for an MoT I would suggest you take advice regarding the headlights first. Those combination LED main/dip/side/indicator units look really trick, but I am not aware that they have been approved for use in the UK or Europe, and as far as I know are not "E" marked, which remains mandatory for headlights in the UK (even though we are no longer part of the European Union).

On the other hand, if you do get through with no advisories then it could set a precedent for LED headlights of this type in kit cars

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Hi Barry - your build is looking good, but if you are going to submit the car for an MoT I would suggest you take advice regarding the headlights first. Those combination LED main/dip/side/indicator units look really trick, but I am not aware that they have been approved for use in the UK or Europe, and as far as I know are not "E" marked, which remains mandatory for headlights in the UK (even though we are no longer part of the European Union).

On the other hand, if you do get through with no advisories then it could set a precedent for LED headlights of this type in kit cars

Lauren
    The guidance for MOT testers changed last month regarding LED and HID bulbs but only for headlamps _20210228_234736[7424].jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    The guidance for MOT testers changed last month regarding LED and HID bulbs but only for headlamps
    Thanks Mike - I think that advice (HID and LED lights retrofitted into lens/reflectors originally designed for filament bulbs) has been in place for some time, but clearly has only just been embodied into the testers manual.

However, the type of light that Barry is using has been designed from the outset for LED emitters, and although popular on the US aftermarket (and presumably DOT marked), I am not aware that this type of combination lamp is "E" marked for UK and Europe, although I have subsequently discovered that some later Land Rover Defenders have been fitted with circular 7" combination lamps that are "E" marked and can be legally fitted in place of filament headlights.

I think that for the time being it will be down to the discretion of the individual MoT tester whether such a unit will pass or not, as there is no clear advice available. Unfortunately this also applies to the whole car - the MoT manual does not adequately cover the opening canopy - if it is classed as a door, it must have anti-burst latches etc. Most testers would rather not have the hassle of looking up age-related emissions, internal and/or external mirror requirements, headlight height applicable to the year of manufacture etc.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Hi all well failed m o t on lots of little things but one that has me puzzled steering stops missing??

When I Dropped nova off for mot the tester said that he could not get in it as he was about 20 stone when I booked it in I did mention that he would need to be of slight stature!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Holden View Post
    When I Dropped nova off for mot the tester said that he could not get in it as he was about 20 stone when I booked it in I did mention that he would need to be of slight stature!!