Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: windscreen washer system

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Not that its impossible(it can be done) to mount them in the canopy but then you have to run that much more water line up into the canopy and make sure it doesn't get pinched or pulled as the canopy moves up and down.
    My blue Nova has the water jet tube run up through the inside of the canopy hinge arms along with the wiper motor wires. I've not faced an issue with pinching luckily, but yes the pedestal for water jet isn't that attractive, but given the wiper spindles are located in the same position you don't really notice it as they stick up higher.

The bonus with this method is that if you inadvertently knock the washer trigger on your steering column stalk when the canopy is open you don't get squirted in the eye! (which does happen if the jets are mounted on the bonnet)

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post

Good find.
    I had a punt on these yesterday. Current plan is to mount them side-by-side centrally on the bonnet/hood:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-Alum...EAAOSwXWhb9PJh

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi guys - having experienced the dousing from front wing mounted windscreen washers, and also how ineffective they are in this position, particularly when travelling at speed, I went for a wiper mounted washer nozzle...

The nozzle is a triple-jet which has a moulded tab for a screw mount. I cut this tab off, and fashioned a rectangular slot in the body so that it would locate onto the side of the wiper arm and is held in place with a tie-wrap/zip tie, as is the washer hose that fits into the recess on the underside of the pantograph control arm. It ain't pretty, but it does work.

Inside the canopy I have routed the hose between the inner and outer skins to the drivers side canopy hinge, where there are holes for the wiper motor wiring loom. The hose is routed through the holes and down the tube, and connects to the washer bottle hose just before it goes into the bodywork. I have connected together the two hoses with a non-return valve, so there is always a head of washer fluid in the line up to the wiper nozzles.

Of course, the only reason I can use the holes in the hinges for the wiper wiring loom is because I am using a hatchback rear wiper contact plate...

Clearly there are differences between my wiper configuration and the standard Nova implementation, but there is nothing here that can't be applied to a standard Nova and after many years of use in all weathers I would certainly recommend this arrangement over a bonnet/hood or wing mount nozzle.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Good find.
    I had a punt on these yesterday. Current plan is to mount them side-by-side centrally on the bonnet/hood:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-Alum...EAAOSwXWhb9PJh

I don't get why they pixelate the images of the nozzles in the photos .....bizarre

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    and is held in place with a tie-wrap/zip tie, as is the washer hose that fits into the recess on the underside of the pantograph control arm. It ain't pretty, but it does work.
    Probably an obvious question in hindsight, but why didn't you position the tie-wrap square tabs underneath the arms rather than on-top so they are less obvious ?

The bonus with this method is that if you inadvertently knock the washer trigger on your steering column stalk when the canopy is open you don't get squirted in the eye! (which does happen if the jets are mounted on the bonnet)
    Granted I'm sure its possible to find a flaw in any configuration, but if thats really a deciding issue of where to mount them you could put a micro switch or something in the system(or quick release steering wheel) that deactivates the washer system when the canopy is open.

Something as easy as a plunger style switch like that used for the bonnet ajar light could be installed to deactivate the system when the canopy is opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Granted I'm sure its possible to find a flaw in any configuration, but if thats really a deciding issue of where to mount them you could put a micro switch or something in the system(or quick release steering wheel) that deactivates the washer system when the canopy is open.

Something as easy as a plunger style switch like that used for the bonnet ajar light could be installed to deactivate the system when the canopy is opened.
    Yes that would be an option to prevent inadvertently squirting yourself in the face. I can't speak to the efficacy of bonnet mounted ones though as I've not tried that method

I can't speak to the efficacy of bonnet mounted ones though as I've not tried that method
    I see no reason why either method would not do the job properly. It comes down to personal preference as do alot of things when building this car.

One reason why I prefer these washers over others is because of their low profile. I was concerned that because of the low profile of the windscreen anything taller would squirt over the windscreen(and they're not too noticeable), Plus the nozzles have a little adjustment to them so you can adjust the direction if needed.
    I have looked at putting them into the canopy as suggested and I think they would work there with no issues also.

Now its just deciding which location to put them.

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PC270001.jpg

PC270002.jpg

PC270003.jpg

A plus for this is the lid can be rotated 360* so it doesn't bind with anything.

Plan to go to the yards tomorrow

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Probably an obvious question in hindsight, but why didn't you position the tie-wrap square tabs underneath the arms rather than on-top so they are less obvious ?
    As my wiper sweeps across the screen curvature the arms run really close to the screen surface. Plus, I don't care

The entire Nova windscreen wiper assembly is one great big eyesore, which cannot be concealed. Functionality was my primary concern.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways of tidying up the fixtures and fittings, but I hope that my haphazard placement of zip-ties doesn't detract from what is essentially a good idea...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!