Thread: Linear Actuators

Linear Actuators

Hi Guys, can anyone who has used Linear Actuators to lift their roof give me some info like length of throw, weight lifted, time to lift, make used etc. Thank you. Roo

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I am using the Linak LA30 actuator. My car is not on the road but I have the actuators installed & working. The LA30 is the actuator the Aussie guys use on their incarnation of the Nova.

Search for Linak or LA30 on this forum to see the previous discussions on this subject. The LA30 is a great bit of kit and works well, but it is expensive, and will probably require you to modify the body (slightly) and the dash base to get it installed and running.

If you search on Ebay you'll find any number of other actuators on the market, when I did my research on this a year+ ago, the LA30 was the only actuator that was quick enough, strong enough and compact enough to lift the canopy; that may have changed so it's worth checking to see what else is out there.

Running a pair of generic Chinese actuators, about $60 on eBay, for my gull wing doors which are rated at 25Kg at the halfway lift point, I put a bathroom scale on the floor and a broom handle between the raised door and the scale to get the weights.
    Fastest I could get was 30mm/sec for that weight so on an 8" stroke =7 seconds lifting at 300Nm gearing . I have a small problem with limit switch 'bounce' at full open on drivers door so I need to sort that out as the chunk, chunk, chunk, it doesn't sound so good.
    Always a compromise between speed and power via gearing as the rest is all the same, the slower the lift the more power it can give,

I could have gone for the 40mm/sec 230Nm but didn't want to strain the motors.

100N-1500N High Speed 4mm/s-90mm/s 0.8"-20" Inch Stroke Linear Actuator DC 12V | eBay

OR
    DC12/24/36V Stroke 50-200mm High Speed TGE Multi-function Linear Actuator Motor | eBay
    Last edited by Peter; 27-12-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Thank you guys, that’s really helpful

if you already have a hydraulic system then stick with that as it will be cheaper in the long run. If you don't seriously think about the Linax actuators. Not cheap, but once you buy a pump, piping, rams you will find that the Linax are not that expensive after all, are easier to fit, quieter, easier to wire up, can park at any opening you require & wont sink due to seapage.

Even the new pump that was purchased for the Golfkart said that it won't hold a load over time & it will "sink"

I am bias to the linax as that is what I have and am now only experiencing hydraulics with the Golfkart build.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    if you already have a hydraulic system then stick with that as it will be cheaper in the long run. If you don't seriously think about the Linax actuators. Not cheap, but once you buy a pump, piping, rams you will find that the Linax are not that expensive after all, are easier to fit, quieter, easier to wire up, can park at any opening you require & wont sink due to seapage.

Even the new pump that was purchased for the Golfkart said that it won't hold a load over time & it will "sink"

I am bias to the linax as that is what I have and am now only experiencing hydraulics with the Golfkart build.

Bushboy
    Which pump did you go for on the golfcart, Hydrapack?

Pump

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Which pump did you go for on the golfcart, Hydrapack?
    HPR MICRO POWER PACK...Reversible

Hydraproducts Limited
    HYDRAULIC POWER PACK MANUFACTURERS
    Unit 5-6 Tuffley Trading Estate,
    Pearce Way
    Gloucester, GL2 5YD, UK
    ' (44) 01452 523352
    7 (44) 01452 523353
    * sales@hydraproducts.co.uk
    www.hydraproducts.co.uk