Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front Disc Brakes ... backing plate?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Yes I'll probably make some out of stainless, it's fine to run without them if you don't mind the dust and make some small shields for the ball joints or you could use the ones fitted to the lower joints on a Peugeot (307) etc they fit under the joint nut or some are a push fit over the nut and bend down over the rubber
    That’s really helpful Mike ... thanks!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Alistair - dust shields are not mandatory for the MoT. My dust shields were very badly corroded (MkIV Cortina), so I toyed with the idea of using them as a pattern for fibreglass versions with integral cooling hose fittings etc. In the end I didn't bother and left them off. The Nova brakes are not heavily loaded, so forced cooling is not necessary (or vented discs for that matter), and with only a few exceptions (myself, Bushboy), nobody uses their Nova all year round, so the discs never get that mucky. My spiral groove brake discs are not scored or corroded after 2 years of all-weather use.

I would leave them off. They only add to the unsprung weight, which you need to minimise in such a light car.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Hi Alistair - dust shields are not mandatory for the MoT .....................

................... I would leave them off. They only add to the unsprung weight, which you need to minimise in such a light car.

Lauren
    Many thanks Lauren. I'm going to leave them off, but I like Mike's suggestion of heat shields for the ball joint boots.

My Citroen Berlingo van has gone through a few front ball joints over the past few years and I've just been out for a wee look at it. Funnily enough, it doesn't have either dust shields or heat shields, so maybe that's why I've been chewing up the ball joints ...

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Many thanks Lauren. I'm going to leave them off, but I like Mike's suggestion of heat shields for the ball joint boots.

My Citroen Berlingo van has gone through a few front ball joints over the past few years and I've just been out for a wee look at it. Funnily enough, it doesn't have either dust shields or heat shields, so maybe that's why I've been chewing up the ball joints ...
    Possible I guess, with heavily loaded FWD. It all comes down to proximity and radiated heat. I genuinely can't see the need, unless you have a lot of mountain passes nearby. My balljoints are the same ones I built that car with and have accumulated 8 years of road use since 2006...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!