Thread: Castle Donnington

Castle Donnington

I was looking at the South African Eagle site last night and came across a photo of my car at Castle Donnington must be late 70's ,mine's the green one no its the one top left who said green was the least popular colour ,anyone recognise any other cars?
    Attached Images Attached Images

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Mike - another great photo, thanks for posting. Wonderful to see so many ADD Mk1 cars together, and as you say, no shortage of green examples!

But try and find an original green car that hasn't been resprayed Ferrari red today
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Hi Mike - another great photo, thanks for posting. Wonderful to see so many ADD Mk1 cars together, and as you say, no shortage of green examples!

But try and find an original green car that hasn't been resprayed Ferrari red today
    Hi Lauren I don't think there's many gel coat ADD's about now, only painted mine after someone reversed into the front and it had the dark green blotches starting to appear in the gel coat

That's interesting. I remember Richard Oakes telling me that they had a problem with red gel coat discolouration (to a mucky brown colour), but I didn't realise there was a colour-fastnes problem with green as well. Still, back in 1975, nobody thought any of the cars would last 50 years

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    That's interesting. I remember Richard Oakes telling me that they had a problem with red gel coat discolouration (to a mucky brown colour), but I didn't realise there was a colour-fastnes problem with green as well. Still, back in 1975, nobody thought any of the cars would last 50 years
    Interesting that that was a problem with Mk1’s .... When Mike Abel bought mine (a Mk2) brand new in 1983 she was bright red, but by the time I bought her from him in 1986/7 the gel coat was ‘mucky brown’ too!

Hence the desire to have her painted! Thankfully the metallic blue has held up well over the past 32 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    I was looking at the South African Eagle site last night
    We used to have a couple of South African Eagle owners on this forum a while back. Like the Sterling in the US and the Eureka in Australia, the Eagle was an officially licenced copy of the ADD Nova.

I remember one member used a rubber window seal extrusion, bonded to the side window aperture, to hold his side windows in place. The glazing could be removed completely by simply lifting the lip all the way round. Not very secure, but unless you knew the trick it would not be obvious to the casual observer.

Might be worth thinking about for the other thread on flipping the car on its roof...

Lauren