Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This dose not end well

This should help you visualise what Rick was saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIL4Ab_QjOQ

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I was under the impression that the window aperture had a very slight curve to it which is taken up when fitting a non-glass window. Is there a specific method / mod required to the opening that allows a flat glass window to fit / seal?

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    This should help you visualise what Rick was saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIL4Ab_QjOQ
    Thanks Dave - That looks ideal.

I also used to think flat glass wouldn't fit due to the curvature but in fact my car has glass fitted and came that way, so I'm wondering when the canopy moulds were modified to give an extra 1" headroom was the side glass area flattened too?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Here's some photos of my 30 +year old mod, these are alloy which I doubt are available any longer as everything is plastic now and much more bulky
    Attached Images Attached Images

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Thanks Dave - That looks ideal.

I also used to think flat glass wouldn't fit due to the curvature but in fact my car has glass fitted and came that way, so I'm wondering when the canopy moulds were modified to give an extra 1" headroom was the side glass area flattened too?
    Hi Phill,

I suspect you’ll find that the canopy wasn’t modified for the Mk2. My canopy has glass side windows and the guy who bonded them in had to apply pressure to make them curve. The curve isn’t that great, but when my windows eventually de-bonded, they reverted back to being flat and came away along the lower edge. I think the clip at the lower rear corner in the Sterling set up would be sufficient to bend the glass and hold it tight against the seal.

I’ve not checked my canopy but am wondering if the recess for the side windows on the Nova is deep enough for the seal and the glass .... the recess on the Sterling appears to be deeper, but I could be wrong

Alistair

PS ... assuming that side windows are either laminated, or more likely tempered, how do you achieve the holes for the fixings? Or does that have to be done before the laminating/tempering process? ... in which case my lovely tinted glass windows can’t be adapted
    Last edited by BlueNova; 21-01-2021 at 01:53 PM. Reason: PS added

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post

PS ... assuming that side windows are either laminated, or more likely tempered, how do you achieve the holes for the fixings? Or does that have to be done before the laminating/tempering process? ... in which case my lovely tinted glass windows canít be adapted
    Drill first then temper as that is what I did with mine

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Drill first then temper as that is what I did with mine
    Thanks for the confirmation David .... new side windows itíll have to be then!