Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: This dose not end well

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    333
    Last edited by Mikemrb; 18-01-2021 at 09:28 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Near Eastbourne
    Posts
    772

  3. #3
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    2,213
    Ah, the problem of having the weight of the engine at the rear. And we’ve talked at length on the Forum about the need for a sunroof as a means of escape, but it wouldn’t have helped here! However, now I’m going to make sure that my glass side windows (which were previously bonded in place) are easily removable from the inside!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Phill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Livingston (Scotland)
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    I’m going to make sure that my glass side windows (which were previously bonded in place) are easily removable from the inside!
    This is a problem I share. My windows are glass and bonded in place and like you say if the car turned over a sunroof wouldn't help in getting out. I had an accident in my original Nova which caused the roof mechanism to fail and with the absence of a sunroof at the time I was forced to push out the side window (which was made of acrylic and bonded in place) to get out of the car. I'm not so sure my present car with glass side windows permanently bonded in place would be as easy to escape from.

    Removable side windows would be a useful feature particularly on a hot sunny day. Lets work on this and see what sort of fixture we can come up with to make the windows removable?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

    http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Near Eastbourne
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    This is a problem I share. My windows are glass and bonded in place and like you say if the car turned over a sunroof wouldn't help in getting out. I had an accident in my original Nova which caused the roof mechanism to fail and with the absence of a sunroof at the time I was forced to push out the side window (which was made of acrylic and bonded in place) to get out of the car. I'm not so sure my present car with glass side windows permanently bonded in place would be as easy to escape from.

    Removable side windows would be a useful feature particularly on a hot sunny day. Lets work on this and see what sort of fixture we can come up with to make the windows removable?
    You could always make sure the side windows are made of safety glass and keep a glass hammer handy.
    Its the next best option and for those who have electric windows, a necessity since it is possible to get stuck in a bad situation where both doors are jammed shut and if the glass remains intact, you need to break it to get out

  6. #6
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Estepona, Spain
    Posts
    4,237
    Fabulous sound from that rotary Mazda engine.

    Regards side windows, one idea recently posted was lift off hinges on the front edge and flip off catch at the rear bottom. If the car was upside down just releasing the rear catch would cause the window to open and drop off.
    Last edited by Peter; 20-01-2021 at 12:06 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

    http://ukhozi.page.tl

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    This is a problem I share. My windows are glass and bonded in place and like you say if the car turned over a sunroof wouldn't help in getting out. I had an accident in my original Nova which caused the roof mechanism to fail and with the absence of a sunroof at the time I was forced to push out the side window (which was made of acrylic and bonded in place) to get out of the car. I'm not so sure my present car with glass side windows permanently bonded in place would be as easy to escape from.

    Removable side windows would be a useful feature particularly on a hot sunny day. Lets work on this and see what sort of fixture we can come up with to make the windows removable?
    I don't see why you guys can't take from the Sterling and make it work. Our windows have always been pop-out and with the right hardware, removable. The mounting hardware is easy.. the window itself can be made by any glass company that can make tempered. Or just use acrylic.

  8. #8
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    2,213
    Quote Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
    I don't see why you guys can't take from the Sterling and make it work. Our windows have always been pop-out and with the right hardware, removable. The mounting hardware is easy.. the window itself can be made by any glass company that can make tempered. Or just use acrylic.
    That sounds really promising letterman7. I've had a look online but can't see any examples .... could you or anyone else with a Sterling possibly post some photos for us?

    Thanks in advance

    PS ... I've now found a few videos and can see that the windows are 'pinned' at 2 points on the leading edge, and 'clamped' at the lower rear corner. Looks like a neat solution! I can't make out the details on the inside, but assume that it's something that can be unscrewed by hand like a butterfly nut?
    Last edited by BlueNova; 20-01-2021 at 10:24 PM. Reason: PS added

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    333
    Caravan toggle catches are the thing I use ,just unscrew a couple of turns and the window will come out,Screenshot (52)_LI.jpgScreenshot (54).jpgmy windows are split with a quarter light which is fixed
    this is the only photo I could find on the web ,mine are all metal and smaller ,I'll take a photo tomorrow .I'm thinking about a re design of opening windows and have a few ideas in the pipeline

  10. #10
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    2,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Caravan toggle catches are the thing I use ,just unscrew a couple of turns and the window will come out,Screenshot (52)_LI.jpgScreenshot (54).jpgmy windows are split with a quarter light which is fixed
    this is the only photo I could find on the web ,mine are all metal and smaller ,I'll take a photo tomorrow .I'm thinking about a re design of opening windows and have a few ideas in the pipeline
    Thanks Mike!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •