Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the mark always registered as Beetle was or can it be Sterling ?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryosuke View Post
    My question is if they would reject a kit car based on the Beetle because they would look at the specifications of a beetle and they wouldn't match , what specifications does a Nova or a Nova Sports legally have to uphold in government papers ?
    That's a very interesting problem. Essentially you are importing a kit car into Greece, but treating it as a factory-built example, so need to have a factory specification to work with. Fortunately there is historical precedent for a factory-built Nova - at least two complete examples were made by ADD for export to Italy and France (the former for the president of ANSA Marmitte exhausts). So I think you should be able to present the factory specification sheet to the authorities and in all important respects it should conform with the car you are importing. I have seen the spec sheet for both ADD and Elam Novas and with the possible exception of Armstrong dampers being specified on the front axle of the latter, there is nothing to choose between them.

Good luck with your import Ryosuke.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Try this one
    Thanks again so much. Wow I didnít know it came with a Ford- Lotus 1.6 L and a 0-60 of 7 Seconds is blistering quick even compared to normal cars today and especially the bigger VW 1600 with a 0-60 of 12 seconds. Iím guessing Sterlings that have that engine are rare ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    That's a very interesting problem. Essentially you are importing a kit car into Greece, but treating it as a factory-built example, so need to have a factory specification to work with. Fortunately there is historical precedent for a factory-built Nova - at least two complete examples were made by ADD for export to Italy and France (the former for the president of ANSA Marmitte exhausts). So I think you should be able to present the factory specification sheet to the authorities and in all important respects it should conform with the car you are importing. I have seen the spec sheet for both ADD and Elam Novas and with the possible exception of Armstrong dampers being specified on the front axle of the latter, there is nothing to choose between them.

Good luck with your import Ryosuke.

Lauren
    Really helpful info , Thanks! The Factory Specification Sheet is exactly the thing Iím looking for. Iíve looked around the web and forum for anything similar previously, but I was only able to find the Manual , any chance someone has the factory specification sheet here ?

Really helpful info , Thanks! The Factory Specification Sheet is exactly the thing Iím looking for. Iíve looked around the web and forum for anything similar previously, but I was only able to find the Manual , any chance someone has the factory specification sheet here ?
    I have the Elam Mk1/2 Nova specification sheet from 1981 in my file. I can scan it for you.

Don't get too excited about non-VW engines, as none of these were officially offered by ADD or Elams. However, if you can convince the authorities that you have a Puma GTV then you could argue that the Alfa Boxer was offered straight from the factory in Rome, complete with a custom exhaust system

Give me a day or so to find the data sheet and scan it in.

Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    I have the Elam Mk1/2 Nova specification sheet from 1981 in my file. I can scan it for you.

Don't get too excited about non-VW engines, as none of these were officially offered by ADD or Elams. However, if you can convince the authorities that you have a Puma GTV then you could argue that the Alfa Boxer was offered straight from the factory in Rome, complete with a custom exhaust system

Give me a day or so to find the data sheet and scan it in.

Lauren
    Yes, I would be really grateful if you could scan it. I just realized that the previous magazine scan was of the Nova SSD so yea the Ford-Lotus is out of the question. By the way I couldnít help but noticing the Green Machine, itís a real beauty, especially the paint job. Is it a Mark 1 or a Mark 2 Nova ?

Oh and also, Iím guessing that since there are 1:5 Mk1 per Mk2 , that the Mk1 are really expensive ( even though most pictures online seem to be of the Mk1) ?

Yes, I would be really grateful if you could scan it. I just realized that the previous magazine scan was of the Nova SSD so yea the Ford-Lotus is out of the question. By the way I couldnít help but noticing the Green Machine, itís a real beauty, especially the paint job. Is it a Mark 1 or a Mark 2 Nova ?

Oh and also, Iím guessing that since there are 1:5 Mk1 per Mk2 , that the Mk1 are really expensive ( even though most pictures online seem to be of the Mk1) ?
    Thanks Ryosuke - the Green Machine is an early Elam Mk1 Nova, which they started producing in 1977 and replaced with the Mk2 in 1981. It is not clear how many Elam Mk1 cars were made, but as you say, the Mk2 is far more numerous.

I don't think the Mk1 is any more expensive for being rare, although decent examples of either model are hard to find these days! As for the ubiquity of the Mk1, you have to remember that the Mk2 Nova was only sold in the UK, whereas licenced production of the Mk1 has continued in the US, Australia and South Africa, so you could argue that Worldwide, there are more Mk1 Novas than Mk2

Incidentally, the Nova SSD shown in the brochure is in fact the ADD demonstrator, FOW 718L. I don't know whether Steve Driver (owner of SSD) actually owned this car or simply used the pictures without permission. Always a good looking machine though - Car and Driver cover car in 1972, when the magazine came over to England to interview Richard and Phil, and drive the demonstrator (on a disused airfield near Southampton I believe).

I've found the spec sheet, just uploading it now. Stand by...

Lauren

Here is the spec sheet for the Elam Mk1 Nova. I hope it is readable!

I have also seen the specifications for the wheels and tyres, originally Wolfrace slot mags, 6 x 14" with 205/70 tyres, later Wolfrace "Turbovec" 7 x 14" with 205/70 tyres.

Hope that helps a bit!

Lauren