Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How ADD made the first Nova windscreens

How ADD made the first Nova windscreens

I had an interesting conversation with Phil Sayers today in which he described to me the method by which the original windscreen for the Nova was produced.

What they did was get a metal worker to make a sheet metal template that fitted exactly into the aperture of the screen rebate in the canopy. This was beaten into shape to produce a metal blank that exactly matched the shape of the gap in the canopy that would accept the finished screen,

The metal blank was then heated and a sheet of glass placed on top. The heat of the metal softened the glass and allowed it to sink and conform to the shape of the metal blank.

Sounds easy when you know how, and I imagine this is the method by which triplex still produce screens today.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Phill - great to hear that you have been in touch with Phil - I hope he is keeping well. I only had a brief email exchange with him a few years ago, but his continued enthusiasm for the Nova was evident even then!

Do you think he might be tempted to get one?

Pilkington do indeed use the same system, where a sheet of laminated glass is heated until gravity causes it to sag on to the former. I think the material might have changed from a sheet of metal though, given the danger of heat distortion and expansion...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Do you think he might be tempted to get one?
    Yes he is actively seeking one now but told me he hasn't seen anything he considers suitable as all the ones he's seen were too hacked about for his liking. I encouraged him to join this forum as a rich source of information for any suitable projects that may come up so he may well join in here.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

I've been in contact with pilkingtons this week here's an up to date pricing

Hi Mike,

Please see below for the price information
    If you wish to proceed, please complete the attached form with as much information as possible. Please note that due to the custom made nature of the item, payment is required on a proforma basis.
    Please note that the price does not include VAT
    The glass will be made to order and the current lead time is 10 – 12 weeks. Delivery is £40 to a mainland UK address. The glass will arrive wrapped with foam edge protection and a Triplex sticker

SAP Eurocode SAP Description PRICE
    400069755 A0573 BL1B A0573 BL1B NOVA NOVA £ 817.67
    400061103 A0573 CL1B A0573 CL1B NOVA 0 WS CL £ 766.58

Kind Regards,
    Luke Emms
    Pilkington Classics Co-ordinator

Yep, it's called a drape mold, and Pilkington still uses those. Couple of YouTube videos on them making windshields.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
    Yep, it's called a drape mold, and Pilkington still uses those. Couple of YouTube videos on them making windshields.
    Really interesting thread! I always thought the price for a new Nova/Sterling windscreen was exorbitant, but as you suggested, I've just searched for a video. Whilst the process doesn't involve that much labour, when you consider the investment in the equipment required to produce windscreens, I'm not that surprised any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg92LDhHYuA

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 06-02-2021 at 10:27 PM.

On a far more humble scale that is how I did my dash /speedo cover with 3mm acrylic.
    made a steel former and then heated a sheet of plastic with a hot air gun gently until it sagged. quite easy but it is the time making the former right that is the key.
    IMG903.jpg
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Really interesting thread! I always thought the price for a new Nova/Sterling windscreen was exorbitant, but...........
    There was a very informative 4 page spread article in Complete Kit Car a few years ago covering the process ;-)

I collected my Nova screen in person and then had An extensive tour and followed screens through all stages. This was at the Essex plant before production of Classic screens moved to the commercial screen factory in Finland.

The amount of templates and formers they hold is amazing, and to mobilise for a one off run of a Nova screen or any other variant does mean setting the oven for that screen. So I saw first hand how time consuming a process it is.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Yes he is actively seeking one now but told me he hasn't seen anything he considers suitable as all the ones he's seen were too hacked about for his liking. I encouraged him to join this forum as a rich source of information for any suitable projects that may come up so he may well join in here.
    That is great to hear. I hope that he finds something suitable, although there are precious few cars that haven't been hacked about, and I suspect he will want a Mk1 as well...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!