Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealing Big Holes In Fiberglass Part 1 of 2

Sealing Big Holes In Fiberglass Part 1 of 2

I know its been mentioned on how to do it but I don't think anyone has done a step by step with pictures which may make it easier for someone to understand and show how easy it is.

First the hole that will be sealed. This is small compared to larger ones that I have sealed but procedures are the same.
    P2160001.jpg

The finished side will get covered by using a thin flexible object. Here I'll use some Thin G10 fiberglass that I had laying around cut to size. I have made my own sheet for larger openings out of regular fiberglass mat. Just make sure its thin enough to be flexible. I make it on a melamine board. The surface makes a nice smooth finish on that side of the fiberglass and the resin wont stick to it if you put a layer of wax on it.
    You can attach it with screws or in this case cleco's. Holes will be sealed with body filler later.
    P2160002.jpg

Next I cut out the pattern of the opening from fiberglass mat that will fit inside of the opening. I make enough of these to get the same thickness that opening is.
    P2160004.jpg

From the back this is what it looks like. This is the side the fiberglass patterns will be applied to.
    P2160005.jpg

I have the fiberglass curing now. As soon as its cured I'll finish the post

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    That's a helpful post Brett. I like the step by step pictures approach

I don't have much experience of working with glassfibre and at some point am planning to create a Mk1 bonnet from my Mk2 bonnet, whilst keeping my Mk2 bonnet intact. I bought a couple of nostrils from Jim (jim73vw) and am currently studying youtube videos on mould making, etc

What I'm intending to do is ....

1. take a mould from my Mk2 bonnet
    2. make a glassfibre copy of my Mk2 bonnet from that mould
    3. graft in the nostrils to the copy of my Mk2 bonnet and make good with filler, to form a 'Mk1' bonnet
    4. create a mould of the new 'Mk1' bonnet
    5. make a glassfibre 'Mk1' bonnet
    6. finish the 'Mk1' bonnet off to remove imperfections and then spray the same colour as the car

It all sounds quite protracted, but it will allow me to keep my Mk2 bonnet and offer the use of the mould to others who might want to create a Mk1 bonnet ... and following your example I intend to post 'step by step' pictures.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your post

Part 2of 2

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post

I don't have much experience of working with glassfibre and at some point am planning to create a Mk1 bonnet from my Mk2 bonnet, whilst keeping my Mk2 bonnet intact. I bought a couple of nostrils from Jim (jim73vw) and am currently studying youtube videos on mould making, etc

3. graft in the nostrils to the copy of my Mk2 bonnet and make good with filler, to form a 'Mk1' bonnet
    6. finish the 'Mk1' bonnet off to remove imperfections and then spray the same colour as the car

It all sounds quite protracted, but it will allow me to keep my Mk2 bonnet and offer the use of the mould to others who might want to create a Mk1 bonnet ... and following your example I intend to post 'step by step' pictures.

Sounds like your going to have some fun.
    A job of that size will go alot easier with the proper tools.

A few things I forgot to mention in part one.
    Before applying the G10 fiberglass wax the finish surface of it so the fiberglass wont bond to it, also wax the area around the repair area so the resin that leaks out wont bond to that surface
    P2160008.jpg

Top view shows why you want flex in the backing plate
    P2160009.jpg

Repaired area
    P2160010.jpg

Body filler applied to fill in the imperfections
    P2160011.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post

I already have a mould of the Mk 1 bonnet taken from Bush Boys Reek many moons ago, which has churned ouut 4 offspring incuding the one on my car. It will also need to do one for the new Nova when I get back to it.... other than that the work is done if you need one!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Hi Brett; is the filled part only secured by its edges in the hole, or have you applied any mat to the backside extending onto the body?

Great idear for filling holes that are generally unseen but if it's on the main bodywork you need to feather out the repairs or you'll end up with an outline contour of the repair and it won't be a strong fix

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    I already have a mould of the Mk 1 bonnet taken from Bush Boys Reek many moons ago, which has churned ouut 4 offspring incuding the one on my car. It will also need to do one for the new Nova when I get back to it.... other than that the work is done if you need one!
    Thanks Alex. It’ll be a while before I get to that stage (I suspect my rebuild is progressing at a similar pace to your Pie Valley build?) but I appreciate your offer. I’ll let you know once I get to that stage.

Cheers, Alistair

There is a guy on the Eagle owners forum who has done some rather impressive fixing to the fiberglass body. Hes car arrived in at least three different pieces

https://eaglecarclub.proboards.com/t...-woes-continue

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    Hi Brett; is the filled part only secured by its edges in the hole, or have you applied any mat to the backside extending onto the body?
    I have omitted some details of the fix and I apologize for that.
    Having to take pictures to detail a process and then do a write up on it really slows down the time that can be used for other items that need attention so I did some editing on it.

To answer your question, yes, mat was applied to the back side for strength. 2 layers of 2oz mat to be exact that extended into the body.

Sorry for not covering that. Next time I'll go into more detail on a process.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Good to see this covered on here