Thread: ADD Nova WRY 1

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

ADD Nova WRY 1

Some of you may have noticed a post from WRY ONE over the weekend, and it was noted that this car, currently registered WRY 1 has been around for some considerable time I contacted Ed, who flies commercial aircraft for a living, and he tells me that he is hoping to have the car completed and back on the road in time for its 50th birthday, which is next year!

I met Ed around 10 years ago at Stoneleigh and together we went to see Richard Oakes, who was able to confirm that Ed's Nova is the second in the first batch of 12 cars manufactured in 1972. Although not numbered, it is effectively serial number 002 and is the oldest Nova in existence - the original blue prototype featured in the Hot Car article was apparently written off.

Anyway, the car was fitted with a 2.2 litre Autocavan engine and a year or so later was even fitted with a Hewland 5-speed gearbox, which allegedly had no reverse gear! I think this could have been a Hewland Mk3, which retained the VW nose casting and gearshift rod, so could have been re-installed back into a VW chassis.

Anyway, Ed has sent me a couple of pictures of 002, the first dating from '72-'73 (yes, it was delivered in green gel coat ) and the second was taken during Ed's ownership, at Hindhead in 1983. Apart from the cowls over the shoulder intakes, the car is largely unchanged today, but Ed would like to keep the car under wraps for the time being. All I can say is that the car retains its original Autocavan engine and the whole build is clean enough to eat your dinner off, if you could bring yourself to serve your dinner on it!

I love the "hit 'n' miss" teledial air vents in the side windows of the original car - in my experience these would have worked very well.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    I love the "hit 'n' miss" teledial air vents in the side windows of the original car - in my experience these would have worked very well.

Lauren
    Yes great idea. I have recently removed the rear widow from my car to improve the airflow and it stops the screen from misting up.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns