Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My other Nova

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Hi Alistair,

The wife works in the glass industry and I showed her your video, she is of the opinion you would not get modern safety glass to flex like that, she thinks the older glass you have got is only heat soaked rather than tempered. She does not think you would ever get modern safety glass to flex that much. You may have to think about making your frame flatter. I think Alex did that on his car.

Dirk
    Thanks Dirk (and Mrs Dirk)

I had suggested earlier in the thread that I'd be happy to sell my old windows, but on reflection (excuse the pun!) I'll maybe hang on to them until I develop an appropriate solution for modern safety glass.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Is it possible to bond the fixings / hinges to the glass rather than drilling - there may be some good glues available these days?

https://www.antala.uk/what-is-the-be...bonding-glass/

https://gluefaq.com/best-glue-for-glass-to-metal/

`¨)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    Is it possible to bond the fixings / hinges to the glass rather than drilling - there may be some good glues available these days?
    Nice bit of lateral thinking there Martin

My side and headlight glass came from Bigbirdscar many moons ago. He had a stack in his garden of various sizes that had laid together long enough to slightly mineralise together (so there's a very minor 'saltiness' to the surface that cant be polished out) The side windows were already drilled for a catch, so I had fun finding a suitable donor (Pug I think). As mentioned already, both the canopy and the front end (and the bonnet) needed extensive modification to accept flat glass. I also created rain channels on the canopy as the tumblehome angle absolutely encourages the rain to come in without them!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    ......... As mentioned already, both the canopy and the front end (and the bonnet) needed extensive modification to accept flat glass. I also created rain channels on the canopy as the tumblehome angle absolutely encourages the rain to come in without them!
    Given the still pretty good condition of the paint on my Nova I donít want to start such extensive modifications so Iíll probably just stick with the windows I have, and if I can find suitable glue, try to make them open, although the rainwater issue will need further consideration. How do they manage to address that on Sterlings?

Anyway, apologies to Mark (Novanewbie17) for high jacking your thread!

That's OK- the opening glass windows I have on it seem to sit quite flush although there
    are no rubber seals at present. I thought about putting them on my orange Nova but I'd
    just finished bonding the passenger window in then bought this car the next day!

The other thing I considered is that this car has the factory opening roof panel and that along
    with the opening glass made me think about changing the whole canopy over to my orange car
    and put that canopy on this. But, it would need of course painting etc... mmm