Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Type 4 strip down

Type 4 strip down

So after checking the end float on a type 4 engine I acquired, and finding it excessive, decided to strip it down and give it a thorough check over.
    First off I took one head off to have a look and was pleasantly surprised by how clean the head looked, then started to spot the issues.
    1 - gasket out of place which must have leaked oil when in use.
    2 - push rod springs missing! Actually in both of the heads. By the way, why does the twin carb and injection need the spring but not the single carb?
    3 - push rod tubes sealed with some sort of silicon
    4 - damage to piston faces from contact with valves, though does not seem to be any damage to valves. Maybe the heads were changed but not the pistons
    5 - top fins broken off the barrels, otherwise look quite good
    Not split the block yet, so not investigate that as yet.
    Letís see what else comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Nice update. Is the type 4 from your 64 Mk2 or from your grey primer Nova? Looking forward to seeing more as you get deeper into the rebuild

The one from the red Nova could not be saved. Too many issues with it. I got this one local for £400 complete, so worth a strip down and assess what it needs. I am off the whole of next week so plan on checking the Grey nova engine over and see if I can get her turning over. Most of the wiring is out, so need to knock up some connections to fire it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recently bought a type 4 engine so I will be following this thread with interest. Have you had this engine running at all? And is it complete with all the tinware, carb , and heat exchangers? I paid £550 for mine and thought it was a bargain even though it's making some terrible knocking noises and needs a complete rebuild, so £400 is an absolute steal.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

If you want to check the suspect valves, lap them with a fine paste ,if you get a continuous uniform grey finish there ok but any gaps or polished areas point to a bent valve ,also worth checking the guides are not cracked if the valve has hit a dished piston it gets pushed sideways damaging the guide

Hi Phill,
    Yeah It was all complete (including twin carbs) apart from the ultra rare thermostat, wheel & flap linkage, though I had these from the the scrap engine. The tinware needs cleaning up and painting, and maybe one piece replacing. Had to get a new fan cage, and replace the fan as there was a couple of blades missing. I invested in an engine stand and yoke to make the strip that bit easier. Hopefully wonít find too much wrong, but am expecting having to do a line bore and replacing the pistons. Will probably check and replace the valves seeing the contact marks on the pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    If you want to check the suspect valves, lap them with a fine paste ,if you get a continuous uniform grey finish there ok but any gaps or polished areas point to a bent valve ,also worth checking the guides are not cracked if the valve has hit a dished piston it gets pushed sideways damaging the guide
    Hi Mike, yeah I will dismantle them and if all looks ok will lap them in with some carborundum paste. It almost looks as if the last owner had an issue with the heads, changed them but not the pistons as there are no marks on the valves and the seating feels ok to the touch. Canít imagine why they would do that, unless trying to palm it off on someone as a good engine. The person I had it off bought it as a spare engine but didnít get around to rebuilding it.

Type 4 strip down

So, not the best thing to find in an engine. 3 pieces of aluminium, and some still rattling around in there.
    Struggling to get the 2 halves apart at the moment. Found one but I missed, but still not budging. Checking again!

I suspect a past piston break up and not cleaned out properly. Don't waste time at this stage, just ripp it down and clean it up then inspect every little bit before reusing it or replacing it on a careful rebuild.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I suspect a past piston break up and not cleaned out properly. Don't waste time at this stage, just ripp it down and clean it up then inspect every little bit before reusing it or replacing it on a careful rebuild.
    Looks like you were right Peter, looks like evidence of a previous issue which was not cleaned out.