Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glasgowgolfer golf cart

Glasgowgolfer golf cart

Hi all
    Unfortunately my wee golf cart has frustrated poor bush boy to the extent that he is having to step away from the rebuild project ….I cannot thank him enough for his efforts but he has other things he has to do and my wee car has fought him all the way…….I am obviously gutted after waiting a few years to find what I thought was a rebuild but as it turned out she needed major surgery…..so where does this leave the golf cart….basically up the creek without a paddle, if she has frustrated bush boy well, I am stumped….
    Options…I… doubt anyone would want the golf cart plus a bag of cash to give me their already running car lol….or is anyone mad enough to concider this…..????? …..very cheeky but hey no harm in asking as I still want a Nova ……I really don’t want to go go the flea bay route….so any suggestions…????
    Cheers
    Dave

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Really sorry to hear this Dave. If you don't get any takers for your suggestion maybe you should bring her up to Scotland and put her into storage till you can find someone who has the time and skills to be able to help you get her at least road legal?
    Best of luck!
    Alistair

Dave what a great idea! If that doesn't work out, then Alistair's idea is also a good one as I think you are better off with a Nova that doesn't go than without one! As Youtube instruction videos and welding equipment get better and cheaper, laser cutting services pop up, etc, more people are restoring VW chassis as a service and making repair sections. Hopefully things will get easier going forward.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    so what actually are the 'frustrations' / issues with it?

Build thread

If you search for Glasgowgolfers new golf cart buy Bushboy you will see how har he has came , she is not a million miles away but I just can’t think of anyone up here who can finish the job for me, I’m sure a company would charge a fortune to complete her but I’m on a budget ……

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Dave,

As I recall, the chassis had been restored by the previous owner (who was a welder?) and Martin has fixed the hydraulics for the roof, got the lights working, sorted the seat belt mounts, and stripped the engine and put it back together ... but unfortunately there’s still an issue with it.

So if the only big issue is with the engine, contact the West of Scotland VW Club and the Lothians VW Club to see if anyone can help, or if anyone has a spare working engine they’d be prepared to sell because swapping engines is straightforward for VW’s.

... Unless there’s any other big issues needing done to get her road legal??

Alistair

Sorry to hear that Dave. I know a little of how you feel as i also have no talent with the spanners and the smallest jobs are major to us. My new car although looks in great shape still needs a lot of work to make it roadworthy and after the initial panic of " oh my god what have i done" i stepped back for a few days and had a lot of sensible advice from people on here. I have decided to just try and get one bit sorted at a time and in the end it will get there. So i say take a week to mull over your options.Speak to a few local mechanics who may do you a reduced rate if you leave the car with them to work on when they have no other jobs on and no deadline to work to. I think if you sell the car you will regret it .. i know i did and thats why i got Keiths car so quickly even though i couldnt really afford to. Finished cars or even almost done cars are very rare as you already know.. Good luck on whatever you decide

Hey

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Dave,

As I recall, the chassis had been restored by the previous owner (who was a welder?) and Martin has fixed the hydraulics for the roof, got the lights working, sorted the seat belt mounts, and stripped the engine and put it back together ... but unfortunately there’s still an issue with it.

So if the only big issue is with the engine, contact the West of Scotland VW Club and the Lothians VW Club to see if anyone can help, or if anyone has a spare working engine they’d be prepared to sell because swapping engines is straightforward for VW’s.

... Unless there’s any other big issues needing done to get her road legal??

Alistair
    Al, yea Martin did say the chassis / suspension etc was very good and well done but the guy may have been an engineer but he wasn't an electrician so martin rewired everything that needed done as wiring was a mess under dash , now all lights working, fitted brand new roof pump,new wheels, new led lights front n rear, would need to ask Martin what he thinks is left to get her on the road , he did some engine work but think she will benefit from a recon lump, like you say someone might do an exchange unit, its the final fettling well i think its more than fettling that needs done ,but I think all the hard work is done ,,,,will speak to Martin but I doubt there is anyone in glasgow that can help as not many Kits up here...
    cheers
    Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suicidesam View Post
    Sorry to hear that Dave. I know a little of how you feel as i also have no talent with the spanners and the smallest jobs are major to us. My new car although looks in great shape still needs a lot of work to make it roadworthy and after the initial panic of " oh my god what have i done" i stepped back for a few days and had a lot of sensible advice from people on here. I have decided to just try and get one bit sorted at a time and in the end it will get there. So i say take a week to mull over your options.Speak to a few local mechanics who may do you a reduced rate if you leave the car with them to work on when they have no other jobs on and no deadline to work to. I think if you sell the car you will regret it .. i know i did and thats why i got Keiths car so quickly even though i couldnt really afford to. Finished cars or even almost done cars are very rare as you already know.. Good luck on whatever you decide
    Thanks Sam
    Yea man Ive had the car for 2 years and still never seen it in the flesh lol.....unfortunately martin was/is a key worker so he hasnt had as much time as he had hoped to get stuck in, but he has done an awesome job in getting her this far, this is a mechanical/electrical guy and a very good one and he has had to put his hand up & say she beat me so what chance do i have, I am asking martin for a list of what he has done and what he thinks need done to at least get her road worthy, I am in awe of some of the members and how long it has taken them to get their awesome cars where they are today, and I see many members still tinkering with their cars years n years down the line, I suppose im a bit impatient and just want a Nova I can drive @ weekends but dont want to wait years although i was 2/3 years to find this one , then ive had it 2 years so here we are 5 years and still needs finished , some on here will criticise me and say thats not what kit car ownership is all about but having had many kit cars over the years I have never been much of a tinkerer , its always been about owning and driving.....I will wait to get Martins final assessment on where she currently is before making any decisions..
    cheers
    Dave

From what I can see it seems all the hard work is done, so a shame to give up on it now? I'm sure you won't have any difficulty selling it as these cars are always sought after, especially ones that are almost finished. It will be interesting to hear what work Martin says still needs doing to get the car on the road. I know from my own experience my car was on the road but still needing plenty of sorting before I could trust it enough to drive any reasonable difference. In my case the problems were caused by air leaks on the inlet side to the engine which took ages for me to resolve, but once sorted it has become very reliable indeed and I've now covered over 2.5K since getting it on the road just over 2 years ago
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns