Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Glasgowgolfer golf cart

  1. #11
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bicester Oxon
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by glasgowgolfer View Post
    If you search for Glasgowgolfers new golf cart buy Bushboy you will see how har he has came , she is not a million miles away but I just can’t think of anyone up here who can finish the job for me, I’m sure a company would charge a fortune to complete her but I’m on a budget ……
    ..yes had been following the updates with interest - some good progress made `¬)
    I just assumed that something had been identified with the car that now was an insurmountable problem, particularly as the car was coming along so well!

    I must admit, I've not been able to get to / work on mine for two years now, but I would never sell `¬)

    Will be interesting to see what is actually needed to get the car mot'd / roadworthy - doesn't need to be 'totally finished' for that `¬) ...it will put a smile on your face just to be able to drive it!

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    From what I can see it seems all the hard work is done, so a shame to give up on it now? I'm sure you won't have any difficulty selling it as these cars are always sought after, especially ones that are almost finished. It will be interesting to hear what work Martin says still needs doing to get the car on the road. I know from my own experience my car was on the road but still needing plenty of sorting before I could trust it enough to drive any reasonable difference. In my case the problems were caused by air leaks on the inlet side to the engine which took ages for me to resolve, but once sorted it has become very reliable indeed and I've now covered over 2.5K since getting it on the road just over 2 years ago
    Thanks for the encouraging words, will wait to see martins diagnosis , Last thing I want to do is loose her but I am not getting any younger (55) and don't want to wait potentially another few years to get her on the road, I have been lucky enough to own a few Novas over the years and regretted selling them but back then I was young and could never afford 2 cars , The guy who sold me the car had taken a note of my number about 10 years ago when i posted on a big VW Forum to say I was on the hunt for a Nova lol....so was lucky that he contacted me when his wife decided she didnt want a Nova ....he had taken the car apart so she was on the road @ 1 point in her life, she is registered as a Nova on V5 and I was told she is a factory built car , so I was hoping , Brilliant will be an easy fix, but maybe she wasnt factory built, but like I say...on V5...Make.....NOVA
    Body Type ......Sports
    first registered 1980
    Engine....1500 (now a tired 1200 fitted)
    I suppose someone out there can tell me if factory built....if I supply chassis number.
    so lots of positives

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    ..yes had been following the updates with interest - some good progress made `¬)
    I just assumed that something had been identified with the car that now was an insurmountable problem, particularly as the car was coming along so well!

    I must admit, I've not been able to get to / work on mine for two years now, but I would never sell `¬)

    Will be interesting to see what is actually needed to get the car mot'd / roadworthy - doesn't need to be 'totally finished' for that `¬) ...it will put a smile on your face just to be able to drive it!
    Defo Martin ;o)
    my 1st Nova i got train down to London and drover her back to Glasgow....Drum brakes all round,,,and at Dusk ...during a rainstorm ,...i found out she had a tinted windscreen and the so called vent was like an asthmatic obese person blowing thru hoses.....what a trip that was......think it took me over 10 hours to get home lol

  4. #14
    Senior Member bushboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grays Essex
    Posts
    2,453
    G'day all,

    The last Big 3 items that brought me to the decision to walk away when it is so close are.
    The sunroof supplied with the car doesn't fit. The hole is too big. To get this sunroof to fit would mean some major glasswork to the external & internal skin.

    One of the owners, when fitting the wiper assembly has drilled the shaft hole in the wrong place so that the swing of the motor crank hits the windscreen frame. They then removed a lot of the internal skin to try to clear the crank and have left little to for the mounting bolts to hold onto. Again, a roof off, upside down glassing job.

    And then there the issue with the engine. I stripped it enough to fit new pushrod tubes and seals to fix the oil leaking from these. I had not run the motor prior to this operation. An Acuspark kit was installed & the engine will run but it blows a lot of fumes through the oil breather, and oil leaks from just about every joint in the engine block. In my humble opinion, it needs a complete rebuild.

    This car has chewed up a lot of my spare time. My own projects around the house, and my own car have taken a back burner to get this car to a road worthy condition. If it were my car then yes, I would swear at the seller & continue on with it. But I'm not getting any younger & getting pressure from her in doors to get on with the house jobs. I have run out of time, the last two set backs have beat me.

    Chassis is, as mentioned before, in perfect condition, the electrics have been sorted, roof working on remote, external key switch & internal switch. LED headlights, tail lights.

    A fitted carpet & internal body covering were supplied with the car but I have not fit these. The external body will need a complete rub back & paint. The bonnet, Louver & engine cover are particularly bad.

    Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

  5. #15

    Help.....

    Thanks for a tremendous effort Bushboy , really appreciate it , star man.

    So....she needs a Canopy (with sunroof) and probably an Engine.....

    Maybe a Louver too......

    Anyone out there got a spare canopy with a sunroof fitted?? Maybe you have a spare to make a targa style roof, so not bothered about sunroof??

    Engine wise , Fleabay or some local VW forum probably £700/900

    My silly offer still on the table if anyone fancies a swap plus cash...yes im laughing too but as i always say....no harm in asking (even daft questions) ;o)

    P.S. Do car SOS do kit cars ;o)

    cheers

    Dave
    Last edited by glasgowgolfer; 25-06-2021 at 08:47 AM.

  6. #16
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    2,214
    You’re so close to getting her road legal Dave. The engine is probably the easiest job of you can source one that can be heard running... trolley jack underneath, 4 bolts, and withdraw. Fitting is the reverse of removal. Ok, you’ve got fuel line, electrics, clutch and accelerator cable, etc but as engine replacements go it’s got to be one of the easiest.

    Have a word with Paul at ‘Aircooled Engines Scotland’. He’s based in Alloa, reconditions VW engines, and should be able to fix you up with an exchange engine. He’s got a Facebook page and a website (www.aircooledengines.co.uk)

    As for the canopy, if the repairs are beyond what you’d be happy to tackle yourself, there must be plenty of boatbuilders in Glasgow and the West of Scotland who’d be able to do it (and repair the bonnet, engine cover and louvre). You’d only have to get the canopy repaired for the mot so that you could fit the windscreen wiper. As long as you could store the car under cover you could run it initially without the sunroof.

    Hope this helps ... and you can start making arrangements to bring her up to Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

    Alistair

  7. #17

    Hey

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    You’re so close to getting her road legal Dave. The engine is probably the easiest job of you can source one that can be heard running... trolley jack underneath, 4 bolts, and withdraw. Fitting is the reverse of removal. Ok, you’ve got fuel line, electrics, clutch and accelerator cable, etc but as engine replacements go it’s got to be one of the easiest.

    Have a word with Paul at ‘Aircooled Engines Scotland’. He’s based in Alloa, reconditions VW engines, and should be able to fix you up with an exchange engine. He’s got a Facebook page and a website (www.aircooledengines.co.uk)

    As for the canopy, if the repairs are beyond what you’d be happy to tackle yourself, there must be plenty of boatbuilders in Glasgow and the West of Scotland who’d be able to do it (and repair the bonnet, engine cover and louvre). You’d only have to get the canopy repaired for the mot so that you could fit the windscreen wiper. As long as you could store the car under cover you could run it initially without the sunroof.

    Hope this helps ... and you can start making arrangements to bring her up to Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

    Alistair
    Thanks Al
    Yea apparently Beetles where designed to allow 1 man to remove/refit an engine, already been in touch with Paul and his prices....well lets just say garage prices so way too much hence flebay or marketplace etc, should be able to pick up a half decent 1500/1600 engine @ a reasonable price....getting the hood to a boat builder etc...mmmm im hoping someone will have a spare canopy @ a reasonable price to save all that hassle, will be a good few hundred sheckles getting her up to Glasgow , but I know a few peeps who can collect her for me, I do have a garage...not quite as grand as your set up but it will do, ...
    cheers
    Dave

  8. #18

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    G'day all,

    The last Big 3 items that brought me to the decision to walk away when it is so close are.
    The sunroof supplied with the car doesn't fit. The hole is too big. To get this sunroof to fit would mean some major glasswork to the external & internal skin.

    One of the owners, when fitting the wiper assembly has drilled the shaft hole in the wrong place so that the swing of the motor crank hits the windscreen frame. They then removed a lot of the internal skin to try to clear the crank and have left little to for the mounting bolts to hold onto. Again, a roof off, upside down glassing job.

    And then there the issue with the engine. I stripped it enough to fit new pushrod tubes and seals to fix the oil leaking from these. I had not run the motor prior to this operation. An Acuspark kit was installed & the engine will run but it blows a lot of fumes through the oil breather, and oil leaks from just about every joint in the engine block. In my humble opinion, it needs a complete rebuild.

    This car has chewed up a lot of my spare time. My own projects around the house, and my own car have taken a back burner to get this car to a road worthy condition. If it were my car then yes, I would swear at the seller & continue on with it. But I'm not getting any younger & getting pressure from her in doors to get on with the house jobs. I have run out of time, the last two set backs have beat me.

    Chassis is, as mentioned before, in perfect condition, the electrics have been sorted, roof working on remote, external key switch & internal switch. LED headlights, tail lights.

    A fitted carpet & internal body covering were supplied with the car but I have not fit these. The external body will need a complete rub back & paint. The bonnet, Louver & engine cover are particularly bad.

    Bushboy
    Martin
    Could I just take it to a company that supplies n fits Sunroofs and get one to fit?? or is it damaged inside??
    cheers
    Dave

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    333
    Hi Dave
    I'm in the process of removing my old sunroof which is 42x80 to fit a larger item 52x82 about the largest I think I can make fit, I don't know whether my old one would cover the hole in your canopy
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Hi Dave
    I'm in the process of removing my old sunroof which is 42x80 to fit a larger item 52x82 about the largest I think I can make fit, I don't know whether my old one would cover the hole in your canopy
    Mike
    That is a good size "escape hatch" Mike

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •