Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Air Vents

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    My other thought was to graft an air intake onto the roof to put air directly onto the screen to prevent misting (which is a problem here in the UK with our damper weather). Something like in the picture below. However, the downside of this arrangement as Dirk says would be the lack of a water trap to prevent rain entering the cabin on a wet day. I can see how a water trap could be engineered into your design (an S bend as you have already suggested) but can't see how to engineer a similar solution to a roof mounted intake. Which is a shame as I like the look and simplicity of the idea

Attachment 4878
    How much air flow are you looking to get from that design?? just enough to keep the windscreen from misting??

The reason I ask is because I might have a solution. Are you thinking of using a fan in that configuration??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Brett, look at 2" ShopVac hose, it's really flexible, it's what I'm using to bring heat from the heater boxes and fresh air from the front.

I'm still on the fence about a duct on top of the canopy, but am really leaning towards it. I've designed a damper for the duct using a server and servo controller. It will allow the damper to be opened just a little or all the way. I just haven't gotten to the point of making the ducting.

Thanks Nic, I will have to step down the size of the line from 3" at the intake to 2" at the vent at some place. That may be the best idea for getting around things.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    How much air flow are you looking to get from that design?? just enough to keep the windscreen from misting??
    Yes - just enough to keep the screen clear. No fan assistance
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Yes - just enough to keep the screen clear. No fan assistance
    Roof scoop idea.jpg

Adding a low profile fan would help keep air moving when the car is not moving.

Yes that looks like it would work - with the addition of the deflectors to keep any water out
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Yes that looks like it would work - with the addition of the deflectors to keep any water out
    This is the low profile fan I thought would work in that configuration so air would circulation when the car is at a stop
    https://www.coolerguys.com/collections/dc-12-volt-fans

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    For those looking for solutions for ducting fresh air in this may be useful.

Even though I'm installing a HVAC system that system only circulates interior air, so I needed to find a way to bring air from the outside to the inside.

This is what I came up with

Vents match those in the dash (sort of)
    Air is drawn in from the air intake that was used for the VW cooling fan intake.
    Attachment 4871

A inline blower motor with speed control will be used to regulate the air (still need to get that)

Vents will be install in the side since the ones in the dash will be used for the HVAC system.

Attachment 4872

Attachment 4873

Attachment 4874

Thought I'd update this to let you know what I've found.

This is the in-line blower I got(I ordered 2).
    P8180001.jpg

Its rated at 130 cfm but after some research, I found thats what its rated at not attached to anything. Once connected to a air duct the cfm drops to 90 cfm.

Well, live and learn.
    Thats not a real big issue, what is an issue is the high pitch wine it makes when wide open. Reviews say it was quiet. Well its not.
    Its bad enough that I'm not going to use them. Instead I'm falling back on the small Mercedes blower motor that I pulled a while back
    P8180002.jpg

Its a little bigger than the in-line blower but I think I can make it work, its quieter and pushes more air
    P8180003.jpg

P8180004.jpg

"Cool" idea :-) But you'll find the vent's aren't functional at all without fan assistance. With the body shape, very little actual airflow happens there. The lower ducts are a bit different - I had hooked similar vents up to those (actually, split the airflow between 4 vents on the back bulkhead) and it worked well as a ram air setup up to about 30mph, then body dynamics and sir stalling in the cockpit took over - you need an outlet as well as an inlet. If I opened the windows, the air flowed up to about 40mph.

Quote Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
    "Cool" idea :-) But you'll find the vent's aren't functional at all without fan assistance. With the body shape, very little actual airflow happens there. The lower ducts are a bit different - I had hooked similar vents up to those (actually, split the airflow between 4 vents on the back bulkhead) and it worked well as a ram air setup up to about 30mph, then body dynamics and sir stalling in the cockpit took over - you need an outlet as well as an inlet. If I opened the windows, the air flowed up to about 40mph.
    Hi Rick

I've modified the intake opening so hopefully some air will get directed down into the line.
    P8100001.jpg

P8100002.jpg

I'm working on the blower motor now
    http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...r-duct-adapter

I hope to have the adapters done in a couple of days

I have not considered to put an outlet but that sounds like a good idea. I'll take it under consideration and see what options there are for installing one

Thanks

I still need to source out a switch for it.

For those following this here are the end results

Made air duct adapters for the blower motor
    P9010001.jpg

I've ordered different air duct lines that have a smooth interior and are made out of aluminum but for testing I used corrugated air duct line that I had laying around.
    P9030004.jpg

P9030007.jpg

Out come was better than expected. Plenty of air being blown out at the vent and the directional vents work great.
    I have no doubt that a "T" or a "Y" can be added to the system and an additional line could be routed to the windscreen for keeping the windscreen clear in damp weather.

There is a slight roar at the intake from the air being sucked in but at lower speeds(I tested with no speed control)this would disappear I would guess.
    As far as noise from the motor, there is none that can be heard inside the car.

Each side of the car will have its own system so air on either side can be controlled separately.

Looking good professor. great system and room for additional vents too.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl