Thread: Stuck clutch after winter layup.

Stuck clutch after winter layup.

Last month the VW beetle type clutch was stuck when I went to start the car after winter. It wouldn't release. The pedal feels like it normally does. It did this the winter before, and I left the clutch pedal pressed down with a broom handle for a week and it released its self.

This time I tried it for 3 weeks and it is still stuck. Wondering if you have any tips for me.

Sounds like the driven plate has rusted on. I had cars that did that when I lived in Wales. It's not so much the clutch pedal that's the problem, usually the easiest way to free it up is to 'shock' it off by starting it in gear - but that can be 'exciting' if you're in a garage or any other limited space...
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    Sounds like the driven plate has rusted on. I had cars that did that when I lived in Wales. It's not so much the clutch pedal that's the problem, usually the easiest way to free it up is to 'shock' it off by starting it in gear - but that can be 'exciting' if you're in a garage or any other limited space...
    Yes I think you are right. I was wondering if there was any trick, some hole you could tap the plate through with someone holding the pedal down. I will give it more time with the pedal down, clear some space, then try starting it in gear! The brakes still seem to work thankfully!

My wife's T20 tractor did it last year, coaxing it into a gear, I managed to leap it forward and back, taking out two major barn supports in the process - though it did show they were completely rotten.... Driving it round the field later, still stuck, at some point it freed up. Vintage tractors are much easier as you can pull off in any gear, and have to be stationary to change anyway. No tractors were harmed in the excapade, and we got to build a shiny new barn.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

To prevent a recurrence of this problem, I suggest next time you have the engine out of the car, apply a liberal coating of high temperature grease across the flywheel face and the clutch friction plate...
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    To prevent a recurrence of this problem, I suggest next time you have the engine out of the car, apply a liberal coating of high temperature grease across the flywheel face and the clutch friction plate...
    'Copper-slip', would be good.

For heavens sake, someone might just take this seriously,
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    'Copper-slip', would be good.

For heavens sake, someone might just take this seriously,
    And here I was, sitting back here trying to NOT laugh like a loon