Thread: Flasher stopped working

Flasher stopped working

Driving the Nova yesterday I noticed the flashers were operating much slower than usual in both directions. I did a quick check and established that all the bulbs were working fine. Kept trying it out and eventually the indicators packed in altogether with no power to either side when selected (My hazard warning lights are a separate circuit and relay and still work fine). So I quickly ordered a new relay from Amazon which arrived late today but when I fitted the new relay the lights stay on at all times when selected and still do not flash. I'm hoping the new relay was faulty so have ordered another replacement and apart from blaming the relays I'm at a loss to explain what else could be the matter.

Any suggestions?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

The earth connection couldnít have come loose could it Phill?
    Is the relay the same as your hazard circuit so it can be moved to see if itís the new relay?

Did you purchase the same kind of relay? There are some that are NO and NC, I think.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

simple test, look to 12v at input, if that is OK short out the two pins on the relay, input (30) and output, the lights should stay on when selected at the switch, if that happens then look to the relay connections, earth (as has been suggested). A slow flash means increased load, (fast flash low load as in bulb blown.)
    Last edited by Peter; 21-08-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    For the old-style bimetallic flasher units a broken earth connection would cause these symptoms.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Thanks for all the replies. The 2nd replacement relay arrived today and I'm pleased to say the indicators are working properly again. Just goes to show - don't necessarily trust a brand new replacement not to be faulty.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. The 2nd replacement relay arrived today and I'm pleased to say the indicators are working properly again. Just goes to show - don't necessarily trust a brand new replacement not to be faulty.
    Excellent! ... Iíll listen for the roar of your Nova on Saturday ...

.... btw, the road between Pitscottie and Blebo is closed just now but you can approach Blebo from the Strathkinness side. Let me know if you want any more info for directions