Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from the Chilterns

Hi from the Chilterns

Hi, just joined, I do not own a nova as yet, plenty of other toys, but I'm watching 2 as I speak. 1 you guys know of, but it's too pricey for its condition as its basically a parts car (Blue Targa Roof), the other might take a while as I think the lady who owns it has a lot of sentimental reasons not to part with it, but it's a whole car that just needs a ground up restoration
    Early days so trying to learn before I even start to walk.
    I have the skill level as a fabricator, engineer and a national craftsman in vehicle repairs but still believe you never know everything.

And like most have a few ideas I would transition onto a car if I'm lucky enough to buy one
    Thanks inadvance for allowing me to join and probably ask many daft questions

Dave

Hey

Quote Originally Posted by Dave0892 View Post
    Hi, just joined, I do not own a nova as yet, plenty of other toys, but I'm watching 2 as I speak. 1 you guys know of, but it's too pricey for its condition as its basically a parts car (Blue Targa Roof), the other might take a while as I think the lady who owns it has a lot of sentimental reasons not to part with it, but it's a whole car that just needs a ground up restoration
    Early days so trying to learn before I even start to walk.
    I have the skill level as a fabricator, engineer and a national craftsman in vehicle repairs but still believe you never know everything.

And like most have a few ideas I would transition onto a car if I'm lucky enough to buy one
    Thanks inadvance for allowing me to join and probably ask many daft questions

Dave
    Good luck mate, took me years to finally bag one tho to be fair it’s my 3rd, your a lucky man having the skills, that it way more than half the battle, I’m like an ashtray on a motorbike , clueless, someone with a bit of kit car knowledge could probably finish mine in a week or 2, I go into the garage @ night look @ it and don’t know where to start lol……
    The site is a wealth of knowledge
    Cheers
    Dave

Hi Dave - welcome to the site. You've come to the right place as there is a vast pool of knowledge amongst the members here.

I do hope you get your car, but you're right about the Targa car - it does need a new roof to repair the damage caused by cutting away the top, but perhaps even that can be salvaged by re-introducing some bracing with a "T" bar and struts on the side windows?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Thank you,
    Yeah I used to own my own garage, plus a restoration company, plus run a drag race team,
    Alas set my standards high, 5 years ago I bought a Rv, within a year, totally rewired, and removed cleaned and replaced suspension parts, plus renovated the whole interior.

I've always believed In buying a vehicle and pulling it apart and bringing the vehicle to a level I feel safe and happy in.

I also work in a hard metal engineering company basically we add metal to worn out metal, chemically rather than just replacing parts, we supply F1 Teams amoung other parts.

So yeah, just need to find the right car at the right price

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Hi Dave - welcome to the site. You've come to the right place as there is a vast pool of knowledge amongst the members here.

I do hope you get your car, but you're right about the Targa car - it does need a new roof to repair the damage caused by cutting away the top, but perhaps even that can be salvaged by re-introducing some bracing with a "T" bar and struts on the side windows?
    Yes it can be saved, but at the right price as I believe there are parts missing from the car and as I'm unsure if there's spare parts available.

Plus yes the roof is an easy repair but again this needs to be taken into account with the price which I believe is half of what he is trying to sell it for.

It's a little bit different to a Complete car just needing a restoration

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum Dave! Hope something suitable pops up soon for you
    Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

Most cars that come up for sale have been sitting around for years - usually outside under a tarp.
    So the likely hood is that you are looking at a body-off resto - but at least you'll get a car built to the spec you want.

FYI You can get parts, from poly-creation.eu in Belgium, Also from the Sterling guys in the US and Purvis in OZ.

Yes it can be saved, but at the right price as I believe there are parts missing from the car and as I'm unsure if there's spare parts available.

Plus yes the roof is an easy repair but again this needs to be taken into account with the price which I believe is half of what he is trying to sell it for.

It's a little bit different to a Complete car just needing a restoration

No problem with body parts as they are still made in Belgium.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Thanks guys,
    I can fabricate panels myself,along with a tube chassis
    I'm expecting it be be a body off resto.
    The only reason I'm not so interested in the blue one, is how many parts may be missing, Admittedly I've already got a plan in my head on the build, hence the tube chassis, but that would be a 2nd build 1st would be to just get the car road worthy
    But even if it's been sitting outside there's a higher chance of it being a whole car.

It's also the year of car I'm looking at too ref mot and taxation, as many mot testers will struggle identifying correct year and ruling.
    As an Ex mot tester, engineer it will be made a high standard

OK 1st question, what braking system is fitted to the front?

Is it Beetle drums ?

OK 1st question, what braking system is fitted to the front?

Is it Beetle drums ?

Most cars are either standard Beetle drums or discs at the front. Conversion kits are readily available to convert drum braked cars to disc at the front
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns