Thread: Fitting Van Tyres to a Nova - Good or bad idea?

Fitting Van Tyres to a Nova - Good or bad idea?

I'm considering replacing my rear tyres which are 205/70 x 14 with higher profile tyres i.e 205/80 x 14.

This will result in a 2" increase in diameter which will do a better job of filling my rear arches without going up to 15 or 16 inch diameter wheels therefore allowing me to retain my existing wheels. It would also mean I can raise my suspension to reduce the amount of negative camber my car currently has (I'm concerned that if I stick with the current camber arrangement I will starve the rear wheel bearings of oil resulting in premature failure)

The only tyres available at this size are described as van tyres, would this be an issue for me?

I'm thinking of these tyres specifically:-Kumho PorTran KC53 205/80 R14 Q tyres | Blackcircles.com | ID - 36466358
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    The ideal solution would be to find 2 15” slots with 4 x 130 pcd ... but as I found, they’re like hen’s teeth.

Your Nova really suits the slots so I think your idea is a pragmatic way forward. If you’re concerned about what the increased profile will look like, perhaps you could check with the supplier that they’ve got plenty in stock and then just order one tyre before committing to the other one?

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I'm considering replacing my rear tyres which are 205/70 x 14 with higher profile tyres i.e 205/80 x 14.

This will result in a 2" increase in diameter which will do a better job of filling my rear arches without going up to 15 or 16 inch diameter wheels therefore allowing me to retain my existing wheels. It would also mean I can raise my suspension to reduce the amount of negative camber my car currently has (I'm concerned that if I stick with the current camber arrangement I will starve the rear wheel bearings of oil resulting in premature failure)

The only tyres available at this size are described as van tyres, would this be an issue for me?

I'm thinking of these tyres specifically:-Kumho PorTran KC53 205/80 R14 Q tyres | Blackcircles.com | ID - 36466358
    Hi Phil if you fit van tyres to a lightweight vehicle it would be like having solid tyres ,they are designed for heavy loads thus the sidewalls are thicker and less flexible ,they're heavier and will transmit more road noise
    mike

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I'm no expert on tyres but isn't the difference speed rating and a stronger wall it may also be a bit heaver due to the stronger wall? if that's the case then I would say no you will be fine.

Dirk

Just using the vans I've owned and driven in the past as a reference, the vehicle performs completely differently depending on both the load of the vehicle (overall weight) and tyre pressure, too low a pressure when loaded and it'll wallow, too high a pressure when unloaded and the vehicle would steer like a brick on ice.

Since the average Nova appears to weight about 100 kilo's less than my current van's kurb weight, I don't believe you would have any problems with certain types of van tyres on your Nova, though you may need to reduce the air pressure
    Last edited by Gaisa; 11-09-2021 at 01:01 PM.