Thread: Hard Chrome, Anodising & Ceramic coating

Hybrid View

Hard Chrome, Anodising & Ceramic coating

Not sure if this is in the correct area and this is not for personal benefit

I work for a company that carries out Hard chroming ( not to be confused with polished Chrome)

so what is Hard Chrome ?
    lets say your front wheel hub spindle or crankshaft has damage or a worn area. we basically mill the area down so we know it has a datum and we then dip the area in a chemical liquid chroming vat. we can protect other areas of the same spindle that you do not want coated with a specific wax

it can take days in the vat to bring them to over spec and then be milled down and inspected for micro pour holes and then ready to be sent back to the customer. Sometimes you just can not buy the item required or its so expensive its out of reach.

we also grey Anodise steel and can possibly polish the anodising depending on shape

on top of this we also ceramic coat, which still amazes me how its done with many different gasses and Plasma

one of our biggest repair lines is pitted Motorcycle forks. we also do work for williams F1, Asto Martin and other hyper car companies

As i say, there is no benefit to me, i will of course ask the boss for a discount for all members

pm me if you need help

Dave

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave0892 View Post

so what is Hard Chrome ?
    lets say your front wheel hub spindle or crankshaft has damage or a worn area. we basically mill the area down so we know it has a datum and we then dip the area in a chemical liquid chroming vat. we can protect other areas of the same spindle that you do not want coated with a specific wax

it can take days in the vat to bring them to over spec and then be milled down and inspected for micro pour holes and then ready to be sent back to the customer. Sometimes you just can not buy the item required or its so expensive its out of reach.

Dave
    That is very interesting and not a process I was aware of, when I bought my IRS hubs and arms there was a tiny amount of play when I installed the new bearings, I went down the neanderthal approach of center punching the hub to distort it slightly and some bearing adhesive. It has worked but I am sure at some point I will need to find a better solution.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    That is very interesting and not a process I was aware of, when I bought my IRS hubs and arms there was a tiny amount of play when I installed the new bearings, I went down the neanderthal approach of center punching the hub to distort it slightly and some bearing adhesive. It has worked but I am sure at some point I will need to find a better solution.

Dirk
    Alas is will not last long and has a higher chance of further damage.

There only a few places now in the uk the do hard chrome, the company I work for have been chroming for the past 100 years and have a wealth of knowledge. I seem to learn something new daily

I will be asking the boss if I can have bits done as a show to customers type thing

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Finally had an exhaust in so I can show you before and after having a ceramic coating

Very neat

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Nice Vw header and Turbo pipe

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    It looks a lot neater than exhaust wrap but how does it compare in terms of how hot it gets?

Dirk

That I'm not sure about,
    Must say I've had issues with wrapping causing heat damage to welds