Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The restoration of Norbert

The restoration of Norbert

So at 10 am yesterday morning i became the new owner of this Nova.
    its registration is CEN 439V registered as made in 1969 but first used 1980.
    i have found a few bits in yellow but mostly blue
    it is fitted with a twin carb 1600 - type 3 i believe

so after a 5 hour round trip Norbert's home.

so first was to strip every thing out and see what we had and what was missing and what we may or may not use on the restoration

seems like most rubber seals have gone i've been told the hydraulics work. if you power them up with a battery.
    But after a compete inspection i think i really need to pull the body off and work on the chassis as i feel this is a terrible attempt at welding floor pans as the drivers side has been extended to the pedals making the pedals 2 inches above your foot. also they have been spot welded on with huge gaps. As an ex Garage owner and owner of an mot centre there is just know way i can leave this.

I have a few ideas in my head of how the car will look and it didnt take long for me to get started

Ive also noticed there is no joins withe the side panels or front lower section, which is open allowing air to run through

and no water channels on the front hood / bonnet or side panels to the headlights going downward next to the bonnet

here is a few pictures
    20210918_142312.jpg20210918_142321.jpgFB_IMG_1631988102856.jpg20210918_163449.jpg
    Last edited by Dave0892; 19-09-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Spent just over an hour today, roughing the new dash fitment

20210919_162634.jpg

20210919_162655.jpg

20210919_162728.jpg

20210919_162734.jpg

Looking at the tunnel, i may have to cut and flatten the Tunnel behind the dash to get the heater and AC box in

what is interesting is :
    if you look at the bulkhead it has a hole for Left hand drive

Also if you look at the drivers floor you will see the extended floor which is way too low
    Last edited by Dave0892; 19-09-2021 at 04:01 PM.

It's great to see some pictures Dave

Apart from the Dash that's in the photos, do you have the original Nova Dashboard too?

How is the windscreen? And can we see some photos of the engine? I had 1600 Type 3 engine in my first Nova, it had twin carbs and seemed pretty quick back then.

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Looking good Dave. What's the dash from? Looking forward to following your progress

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Nice to see you cracking on. The floor drop does look a little strange perhaps the original owner had huge feet but why is the step so far into the car as well? it does need redoing.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Looking good Dave. What's the dash from? Looking forward to following your progress
    Dash is from a 2007 ford fiesta, had to cut 2 inches off each side, still working on tunnel area, but the crash bar from the first will also be going in the car for the steering column support

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Nice to see you cracking on. The floor drop does look a little strange perhaps the original owner had huge feet but why is the step so far into the car as well? it does need redoing.

Dirk
    Yeah its a bit of a danger too, low ground clearence

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    It's great to see some pictures Dave

Apart from the Dash that's in the photos, do you have the original Nova Dashboard too?

How is the windscreen? And can we see some photos of the engine? I had 1600 Type 3 engine in my first Nova, it had twin carbs and seemed pretty quick back then.

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress
    Yes I still have the dash but I would call it the original as its 1 piece and had Rover Sd1 gauges which wouldn't work anyway. Will take some pictures, still using it as a mock up for the wiper end before I start laying the foam and fibreglass

Quote Originally Posted by Dave0892 View Post
    Yes I still have the dash but I would call it the original as its 1 piece and had Rover Sd1 gauges which wouldn't work anyway. Will take some pictures, still using it as a mock up for the wiper end before I start laying the foam and fibreglass

Will take some pictures of engine next chance I get

Oh and brand new windscreen

Just got to fit it