Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: The restoration of Norbert

  1. #21
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Riding
    Posts
    1,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I don't see any 'E' markings so I guess it isn't type approved. wouldn't pass the test would it?.

    I have a feeling this will end up in the very laege ' fizzled out' folder of dead projects.
    It doesn't need to pass any tests its registered and MOT exempt so no need to worry.

    Dirk

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Wowsers. That is quite an impressive Miura concept. There again, the original Miura renderings looked rather more racy that the reality...



    Is it a combination lamp? LED strip in the middle for indicators and surrounding ring is red for sidelights and brakes? Looks like an interesting product, any bench test pictures you can share?

    Lauren
    Hi Lauren

    Here's a you tube link for the lights

    https://youtu.be/hGgLEk_KJ_k


    I'm also fitting a 48 inch long red strip light in the grill section as a side light a fog light and a reverse light

    https://youtu.be/z2BumS0wFMo

    Jump to 8.35


    And yes I love the miura and I also love the D type, and the contact, the miura concept has elements of each

    I've started on the molds already

    Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    So a rather busy weekend, too many vehicles to play with

    So as we all know, floor height is an issue along with seating position knee angle and pedal layout.

    As a stumpy 5ft 8 person I've always struggled finding the perfect seating single angle, only a handful of cars have ever been perfect and I do not like how the floor cut layout diagram sits

    So to start I had to find the perfect seat, as we all know width is an issue

    After finding the perfect seat for me it was then I had to make the seat runners to fit the car and the seat. .....
    After 2 hours of dithering I got the mig welder out 2hrs later and created the seat base

    What is funny is so many things seem to be aligning, on this buikd. the first car I worked on was a MGB, the very same seats going into the car. the first car I owned had a mountney steering wheel, the possible Sd1 Dash, same as my 4 or 5 car I owned, the seating position of the capri, car number 3 or 4.

    So with all this in mind the deepness of the required floor and trying not to go below rim height while also getting arm to gear stick and hand brake and then checking right arm angle to steering wheel length has made me realise the pedal box compared to steering column alignment is terribly out
    So while semi solving the height issue I also realised that the throttle is in the wrong place and that I need to also modify the inner wheel arch and floor body fibreglass overhang and remount the throttle pedal 2 inches to the right and also moving the brake 2 to 3 inches to the right, same with the clutch pedal so I can put a foot space for the left foot to relax when not needed for the operation of the clutch.*** While as the same time look for space for feet cooling or warming vents using 3 heat sources plus making sure there is room for the air con recirculation system too.

    And that doesn't even include the removable steering wheel, or the possibility of a car stereo or drink holders
    Plus being able to reach any switches

    So with the help of my wife here are this weekends pictures,*** 4 hours work just to work out required heights and spaces as I'm also considering putting in a redundant hydraulic pump system*** in either manual or electric just incase and where to mount it as my pump is located at the rear of the car. And how to operate a 2nd pump using electric valve solenoids. From inside and outside the car, possibly mounting the 2nd pump electric switch under the front bonnet or in the engine bay.

    Will talk more about the removed floor next time as it was an disgusting



    Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Senior Member Phill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Livingston (Scotland)
    Posts
    1,680
    My steering wheel is further away from the screen than yours
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

    http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns


  5. #25
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    2,212
    If you’re going to modify the wheel arch to enable you to move the accelerator 2” to the right do it with the steering on full lock to the right ... depending on your wheel/tyre combination you’ll possibly find marks on the wheel arches where the tyre has been rubbing against it.

    .... I’ve just done fibreglass repairs to both n/s and o/s to patch the resulting holes!

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    If you’re going to modify the wheel arch to enable you to move the accelerator 2” to the right do it with the steering on full lock to the right ... depending on your wheel/tyre combination you’ll possibly find marks on the wheel arches where the tyre has been rubbing against it.

    .... I’ve just done fibreglass repairs to both n/s and o/s to patch the resulting holes!
    Yeah, I've also seen someone has repaired mine, going to see if I can weld steering stops in to stop future issues

    Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Estepona, Spain
    Posts
    4,236
    As can be seen there is very little room left of the steering shaft for foot movement with the standard or even modified pedals. Have you considered pendulum pedals wit rear facing master cylinders?

    There will be little or no room to expand the foot well, your turning circle will be very tight, I tried. ended up with Locost pedals-modified. .

    As we are of similar build but I am 5'10" the seating position would be the same, about a 3" drop is needed to have some head room but as pedal position is the starting point with everything else relative to that I would start from there and forget about everything else until that is sorted.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

    http://ukhozi.page.tl

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    As can be seen there is very little room left of the steering shaft for foot movement with the standard or even modified pedals. Have you considered pendulum pedals wit rear facing master cylinders?

    There will be little or no room to expand the foot well, your turning circle will be very tight, I tried. ended up with Locost pedals-modified. .

    As we are of similar build but I am 5'10" the seating position would be the same, about a 3" drop is needed to have some head room but as pedal position is the starting point with everything else relative to that I would start from there and forget about everything else until that is sorted.
    Hi Peter thanks for that, yeah, I'm pulling the foot controls out and modify them and actually fit the master cylinder and bleed the system through so I can get a pedal height from all 3, I can always extend them towards the back of the car to make up for my 29 inch legs

    Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Estepona, Spain
    Posts
    4,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave0892 View Post
    Hi Peter thanks for that, yeah, I'm pulling the foot controls out and modify them and actually fit the master cylinder and bleed the system through so I can get a pedal height from all 3, I can always extend them towards the back of the car to make up for my 29 inch legs

    Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
    Or sit further forward, As I said, the pedals define everything else. seat position, steering wheel, gear-shift. even mirrors. all linked to pedal position.

    Reversed 'swing' pedals would work well.

    I would use these as a start. with a roller pedal for throttle floor mounted easy to make with a little metal bashing skills or if cash allows...
    https://www.wilwood.com/Pedals/PedalList?mc=Reverse%20Swing%20Mount%20Brake%20and %20Clutch%20Pedal
    or
    https://www.demon-tweeks.com/eu/tilt...als-gdr72-608/

    You get the idea.


    swing pedals.jpg

    you need to buy the balance bar and cylinders but the rest is just sheet steel and a tube for a pivot.

    Of course if using a clutch cable, needs a design and throttle linkage will need thinking, I have RHD so no problem, straight in from tunnel.

    Foot rest, really?
    Last edited by Peter; 12-10-2021 at 11:31 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

    http://ukhozi.page.tl

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •