Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Separating body from the pan

Separating body from the pan

Hi,

Any advice and/or tips 'n' tricks to lifting the body off the pan?

I have all the bolts out of the pan periphery...I can find none attaching the rear bodywork to the shock towers. I don't believe there's anything 'mechanical' tieing the body to the pan.

I have tried...gently... to lift the rear and its extremely reluctant. I'm using 1 ton engine hoist. It almost feels like the body was glued as well as bolted down.

Is this just how it is? I had expected the body to lift up much more easily easily.

My next attempt I think will be to make some timber wedges and try to prise the body from the pan...then slowly jack it up.

I just need to lift it far enough up, to built a trolley under it, high enough to be able to wheel it back over the engine.

Cheers

Paul
    cheers

Paul

If it’s bonded try some braided cutting wire that’s used to cut the adhesive around bonded windscreens, use it with a sawing action and it should soon free the joint

Success! The body and chassis are apart!

The 2 challenges were...
    1) my engine crane didn't have quite enough reach to allow lifting from anywhere on the rear bodywork that I trusted to be strong enough...I was planning to lift the rear bodywork with the crane and the front with a block and tackle.

2) the front most end of the side pods wrap round under the floor pan, so lifting the front end of the body ended up lifting the chassis too.

Problem 1 was solved by pushing the car out and up my sloping drive...that was fun...and lifting with the crane alone from the side.

Problem 2 was solved with a good deal of pushing, shoving and wiggling and some creative language.

Now I have to solve the newly created problem 3...with the crane at the side, rather at the back, it's sitting right right where I need to build a dolly to hold the body, while I work on the chassis.

I problem for the weekend, me thinks...and a good conclusion to the week.

P.
    cheers

Paul

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Good work, give us some pics man!

Here you go...

PSX_20211002_112000.jpg

You may have spotted the lack of a nose...(!) I did this mod years ago to give access to the front suspension and brakes.

I plan a similar mod to the rear to improve access to the engine/starter, clutch adjuster...etc.

I've a long way to go, this is the 1st major hurdle.

Cheers

Paul
    cheers

Paul

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Great work Paul

Having just inserted steelwork to cure a bad dose of ‘droop snoot’ I’d be interested to know how you hold your nose in place ... I guess you’ve got some steels too?

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

It was held on with a pair of (now rather rusty) steel brackets that mounted on the beam with U-bolts...maybe not elegant, but entirely effective. I only had the U-bolts on the top tube of the beam, so I could schim between the brackets and the lower tube, to adjust nose height.

The bottom of the undertray was cut away and the whole nose section pivoted on the end of the brackets. The roof needed to be up for the front to pivot...preventing accidental opening under braking...

I intend to redesign the whole setup, such that the undertray stays fixed (I have a complete replacement for the cut one), pivoting open without needing to open the roof. It'll be secured with a mechanical catch.

But that will be a way off. I've got a lot of work to do to the rest of the tub & chassis before I start to think about the nose.

Cheers

Paul
    cheers

Paul

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Wow. That is what you call a pic.

While I love the clamshell idea and the Nova would certainly benefit from the improved access, I am nowhere near brave enough for that kind of surgery on my build.

I see the Type 2 bus in the background, you must be a hardcore VW man ;-)

Keep the updates coming.

There's the T2, plus a type 181 Thing and a Volksrod in the back of the garage, which is next in the queue after the Nova...I've been tinkering with VWs for the best part of 25 years...
    cheers

Paul

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wizrod View Post
    Hi Alistair,

It was held on with a pair of (now rather rusty) steel brackets that mounted on the beam with U-bolts...maybe not elegant, but entirely effective. I only had the U-bolts on the top tube of the beam, so I could schim between the brackets and the lower tube, to adjust nose height.

The bottom of the undertray was cut away and the whole nose section pivoted on the end of the brackets. The roof needed to be up for the front to pivot...preventing accidental opening under braking...

I intend to redesign the whole setup, such that the undertray stays fixed (I have a complete replacement for the cut one), pivoting open without needing to open the roof. It'll be secured with a mechanical catch.

But that will be a way off. I've got a lot of work to do to the rest of the tub & chassis before I start to think about the nose.

Cheers

Paul
    Gosh, like Steve I'm impressed with the clamshell concept for improved access, and I'm also nowhere near brave enough for that kind of surgery so I take my hat off to you Paul ... very well done

I'm looking forward to following your restoration, in particular your redesign of the whole setup for the front of the car

Alistair