Thread: Turbo ?

Turbo ?

I may not be working physically on the car, but I'm buying a few items so I can attack the car, as and when I get a chance between the mustang, Rv, and Bocanegra.

While racing last weekend I made the journey across the pits into the Vw area as I have a few questions that are easier just to ask than try to type. Anyway one thing led to another and something I was thinking of was fitting a draw through turbo, carb set up with a Gt3 and a SU Carb

Has anyone else Turboed there aircooled as the setup is one of the easiest I think I've ever seen. And using a good level of boost on a stock engine making it a great combo

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Dave0892;137879]I may not be working physically on the car, but I'm buying a few items so I can attack the car, as and when I get a chance between the mustang, Rv, and Bocanegra.

Rajay used to make a neat water injected kit for aircools for various carb choices even using the stock carb and sugesting removing the venturi for an extra 21hp on top, there used to be a turbo 2.2 nova around in the 80's I believe it had a lot of cooling problems
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mikemrb; 29-09-2021 at 11:08 PM.

A LOT of turbo air cooled in USA and some drag VWs in Europe / UK but it is not just a matter of bolting one on a stock engine, you are asking for a rod through the case, An engine capable of running turbo power reliably would need ALL internals upgrading and a conservative estimate would be about 3K minimum. I just wanted to build a reliable engine 'capable' of higher revs and about 120hp and it cost me 4K 10 years ago.

all these grandiose ideas are best left until you have a road going reliable car and then tweak it.

If you come across an item you are thinking of fitting at the bargain price buy for the shelf by all means but trying to add bits on as you go will doom the project to being sold on like so many unfinished projects.

But hell! What do I know?
    Last edited by Peter; 30-09-2021 at 02:03 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    A LOT of turbo air cooled in USA and some drag VWs in Europe / UK but it is not just a matter of bolting one on a stock engine, you are asking for a rod through the case, An engine capable of running turbo power reliably would need ALL internals upgrading and a conservative estimate would be about 3K minimum. I just wanted to build a reliable engine 'capable' of higher revs and about 120hp and it cost me 4K 10 years ago.

all these grandiose ideas are best left until you have a road going reliable car and then tweak it.

If you come across an item you are thinking of fitting at the bargain price buy for the shelf by all means but trying to add bits on as you go will doom the project to being sold on like so many unfinished projects.

But hell! What do I know?
    After talking to the vw drags guys last weekend, the street class are running 10 psi on stock internals on the 1600.
    I believe the 1600 has forged rods and crank.

I've run a lot of other engines on blowers at 6 to 10 psi but wanted to stay away from twin screws or even a little bit of spray (NOS)

Vw Engines are cheap enough compared to my v8 stuff. A few years back I did around 60k in engines, blowing them up just to prove point. Which I did.

And yes you can just bolt a turbo on any engine, if you know what your doing, it's more about working pressures,timing and temps.
    Unlike the rotary engine you can't add 30 psi and expect it to survive

It was more a are of seeing if anyone had with the extra cooling space the Nova has compare.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    To answer your question, I don't know of anyone running a turbo on a Nova / T1 lump,
    after-market kit has been available for VWs going back years though,
    I remember looking a kit supplied by UVA back in the late 1980's, it should be a well-proven mod by now.

I am going for air-cooled on my build (VW Type 4 in my case),
    but most builders who want performance steer clear of VW T1 lumps
    because you don't get much bang for your buck compared to say a Scooby lump.
    There is also an Air-Cooled tax on VW after-market parts (overpriced) so you will take a hit on engine mods.

Then there is the issue of the VW gearbox; it is reasonably robust for 100+ Hp,
    but no 5th gear, not great in a high-end build.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave0892 View Post
    I may not be working physically on the car, but I'm buying a few items so I can attack the car, as and when I get a chance between the mustang, Rv, and Bocanegra.

While racing last weekend I made the journey across the pits into the Vw area as I have a few questions that are easier just to ask than try to type. Anyway one thing led to another and something I was thinking of was fitting a draw through turbo, carb set up with a Gt3 and a SU Carb

Has anyone else Turboed there aircooled as the setup is one of the easiest I think I've ever seen. And using a good level of boost on a stock engine making it a great combo

Dave,
    I've never turbo'd an aircooled VW, but here's someone who has .....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQo_auEysA
    Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Dave,
    I've never turbo'd an aircooled VW, but here's someone who has .....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQo_auEysA
    Alistair
    Interesting as I think I know the name of the guy as I think his wife drag races a mustang too

Luckily I have the type 3 1600 engine and going to run a su single carb, possibly on a T25 Garret it's in planning stage as we speak, plus the cooling system 😎